Modding Discussion Immersive Sprites/Portraits Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ThommyDude, Apr 2, 2016.

1. ThommyDude

ThommyDude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi everyone,
    I uploaded a tiny mod type thing a couple days ago and realized that although the idea was good, I am just terrible at pixel art/sprite editing.

The thing I did was make it so that Clint wouldn't wear his blacksmith apron when he wasn't in his workshop, because I thought it looked really weird that he would show up like that at events/festivals.

But I have been thinking I would like to take it further by doing it on a grand scale. However I think I'll need help to do this. The idea is to give (almost) everyone new sprites and portraits depending where they are.
    In the original, unmodded game only Maru has a second sprite with her in a nurse outfit.
    Seeing this I think the first thing I would want to try and do is get Harvey to look more like a doctor when he is at the hospital. example: white doctors coat + stethoscope.

Another one I was thinking about was having Lewis take off his hat/cap when he's home, but I'm having a hard time drawing a hair style that DOESN'T make the proportions of his head look super weird. But that is just because I'm horrible at doing the portrait drawing style.

As a final thought, I'm trying to look if I can find somewhere if its possible to use different sprites in different seasons, because I refuse to believe that a girl like Haley goes to the beach in the summer in a full dress and not in either a swimsuit or a bikini...

Anyway, what do you/we think of this? Anyone else who thinks that there should be more immersion with the sprites and portraits like me? Discuss below, and if someone is willing to try and start a project like this with me, that would surely be interesting!

• pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

I think this sounds like a great idea, tbh... But it is definitely a huge project... I might be able to help though with some of the art stuff, if you'd like

• ThommyDude

I would be thankful for any help I could get, however I would like to know if there is a bit more interest in the project before I actually start doing anything at all ;P

Also, really love what you have done with your portrait mod, however for this project I think the "smart" way to do it is to stay as close to the vanilla art style as possible so that people who don't use any other portrait/sprite mods could use this project.

• pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

Haha, I was just saying for in the future, but yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't have any examples but I'm sure I could do basic portrait editing; I mainly meant helping with the sprite editing for hair/clothes/etc., but yeah, just depends on whether you decide to do this mod or not :)

• ThommyDude

I would love to TRY and make this, but if you look here:

Clint without Apron
            [​IMG]
            [​IMG]

That is the best I could do... And although I like that he doesn't wear his apron at festivals anymore, the sprite just looks a bit off. I'm actually quite proud of the portrait because this was the first time I really tried something like this.

Anyway, yeah, if I see that people are interested in this and I have the time (School is about to go into super seriousness mode...) then I would definitely want to make this a real thing!