IRR (Rate of Return) for Profit, and other crop research.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xFishbone, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Axelius

Axelius Tentacle Wrangler

It turns the 9 crops into 18.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

virtually 1% chance for 10x yield per valid crop... o.o

thats a 1.09x expected crop yield for valid crops
      (well.. 1.0899somethingsomethingsomething.. close enough.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
      • xnoirel

xnoirel Big Damn Hero

Sorry for cutting into your deep conversation (it almost sounded philosophical to me Lol). Back to the IRR thingie, I calculated the profit of Parsnip and Potatoes. I found out that Parsnip actually earned more than potatoes despite having a lower base IRR.

Example:
        Starting gold = 500g

[Parsnip]
        Day 1 - Profit: 0g - 25x seeds
        Day 5 - 875g - 43.75x
        Day 9 - 1531.25g - 76.5625x
        Day 13 - 2679.6875g - 133.984375x (round off to 134x)
        Day 17 - 4690g - 234.5x
        Day 21 - 8207.5g - 410.375x
        Day 25 - 14363.125g - This is the last day you can plant Parsnip

Yeah, I realised the number of seeds is inhumane, lol, if you're gonna water them manually

[Potatoes] - since they have a yield rate of 1.25, let's assume that the base profit of a potato is 100g (80x1.25)
        Day 1 - Profit: 0g - 10x seeds
        Day 7 - 1000g - 20x
        Day 13 - 2000g - 40x
        Day 19 - 4000g - 80x
        Day 25 - 8000g - This is the last day you can plant Potato

So... according to the chart (I realised it had been updated), Parsnip has 2.61% base IRR and potato has 7.91% base IRR. Judging from it, potato should be more profitable during an expansion... but... um...? Did I do the calculation wrong? Lol

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

oh i use it for personal calculations.. so every time i change farming level... or start using fertilizers the numbers will change.
          make a copy if you want to tweak stuff yourself.

and you are technically not wrong.
          the sheet assumes you eat salad to get back energy, then go out to do other stuff for the rest of the day.
          there's a field for whether you eat salads or use sprinklers(or equivalent).
          its set to salad at the moment, because thats where i am.

and at low farming levels, its about 2 energy per crop watered. so its a bit less than 4g per day just watering each plant if you buy salads to get it all back.

• xnoirel

xnoirel Big Damn Hero

So how come Parsnip has lower % than Potato, since it's actually more profitable during an expansion?

Edit: oh wait... I think I get it now... lol... just to confirm, is the lower % due to the cost required to buy salad and do the watering again?

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

yup!

the energy you spend in watering plants can be used for other things like fishing etc..
              so energy actually has a price.
              there's a few ways to get it back or to spend none, and one very common one is salad.
              setting it to sprinklers, which represent a cost of 0, will get you 17.16% for parsnips

• xnoirel

xnoirel Big Damn Hero

WOOO!!! Your spreadsheet is much more in-depth that I had given credit for, no wonder I got so confused LOL! It's a real piece of work! Well done! :D

Edit: I realised that Salads don't really make up for the cost... Lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
                • Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

Any succinct summaries to be seen soon? :3

• Axelius

Axelius Tentacle Wrangler

I think that's fair, the likelihood of getting two at once is so very small anyway that by the size you'll get it with any regularity the likelihood of them overlapping is very, very slim.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

too many variables. whats best changes according to how u get energy to water plants, your farming level, and whether ur making fertilizer and what type of fertilizer u make.
                      also day of month.

cheap plants grow money very fast sometimes. but they take a lot of time and energy.
                      that energy cost would mean a few can even go negative if you use salad and your farming level is low.
                      just going from 0 to level 3 in farming will increase parsnip yield from 0.07% to 6.06%

the later in the month it is, the less you would want to plant crops that regrow.
                      (sheet can handle that, but its hard to give you a cut off point)

pretty much all i can say is:
                      potatoes are best when just starting out.
                      hot peppers, in barrels where possible, is probably next.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Okay, just saying that the math behind this is really impressive to me. Technically I have the classes under my belt to do this and probably not make an idiot of myself, but considering actually doing so make me want to whimper and hold my head in preemptive action against the headache that it would probably cause.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

thankfully google lets me just use IRR([range of cells]) lol

• Rubicant1982

Rubicant1982 Subatomic Cosmonaut

<3 love this!
                            I do cost analysis and IRR stuff for work, and was about to start a spreadsheet and then I found your glorious glorious thread!
                            Thank you! :D

• SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

@xFishbone could you make a sheet for the Crystalarium

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

ooo good idea...

i could, if i had the data behind it.
                                from what i can tell though, it basically creates value at a fixed rate. a more expensive gem will just take that much longer.

and being able to feed your wife her favorite rocks is priceless.

• xnoirel

xnoirel Big Damn Hero

Oh yeah, fishbone, you wanna add Salmonberry into the mode of energy recovery? They're in extreme abundance after 15th of spring onwards, lol. One trip of foraging can get 50+ of em. They cost 5g and recover 20 energy.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

added it in.
                                    feel free to suggest others!
                                    (with their cost and energy recovery... or equivalent.)

• Dougl07

Dougl07 Pangalactic Porcupine

A few things to add to this
                                      1. Another good energy recovery food is the Blackberry. Not sure when they appear on bushes (at a guess early fall) but they give 25 energy and sell for 20g. Worth noting that they can be foraged on the ground unlike Salmonberries and can therefore be silver or gold-star, which will return more energy and sell for more, but ones from bushes will ALWAYS be no star.
                                      2. Best thing to put in the Crystalarium is Neptunite. It has the best sell price/day ratio.

I also tried googling IRRs to find out more about them and got a nosebleed, so I'm gonna stay away from them. lol

• Devath

Devath Intergalactic Tourist

The change in how watering works with copper/iron/gold can changes how much energy 1 tile of water is worth. With copper can, you hold down the left mouse button and it waters in a line of 3, for 3 or 3.25 energy, haven't tested enough to determine which. The copper hoe does the same, and the iron hoe does a line of 5, haven't tested energy. Haven't upgraded water again, waiting for end of summer.

• Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

I didn't realize my farming level actually boosted my crops somehow :eek: