1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a LAN mode planned for future updates?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Haykira, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Haykira

Haykira Orbital Explorer

Hi!

I post here to write down an idea that has been in my head for now some months and I waited until some update threads talk about it but, if I'm not wrong, I can't find one.
    My idea is simple ; Bring a LAN mode to Risk of Rain.
    It could be a nice thing to bring in the game for playing in multiplayer mode for people that aren't able to touch to their internet's local ports, and don't want to use hamachi.

What do you think about it?

(I hope my english is good enough because I'm not english, and I try my best to be as understandable as possible)

• Well, if you're all in the same house under the same internet you should all be on the same network, it'd be pretty easy to setup an ad hoc network I would think. Unless you want a LAN mode for an option other than actually in the same house/network play. My girlfriend and I play magicite in the same house and I just host with my IP and she connects because we're in the same network we do not need any special internet porting besides the default and no internet is really needed to play that way.

• Varonth

Varonth Aquatic Astronaut

That sounds overly complex. It should be enough to just use your internal networks IP address. Online or Lan, if both use IPv4 is the same for a network socket. Any online mode can be turned into lan when you allow IP input.
        So one hosts, and the other(s) just input the local ip for the host. In my case 192.168.2.2. Find your IP using "ipconfig" or any of the GUI tools windows brings for network management. No 3rd tools needed. No setup like port forwarding needed, as you never go through your WAN ports in the first place. Everything stays within your local network. It doesn't even make a difference when you you have people from your lan connecting to your local IP while other join the same session via WAN (in that case you would have to port forward though).
        Why would you make an ad hoc network if both computers share the same internet access in the first place? You are already in the same local network.

Finn Learson likes this.
        • @Varonth I know, I was trying to explain it in layman's terms because I wasn't sure if anyone would know about that.

How @Varonth explained is precisely how you can set up your network. As long as you're all connected to the same internal network, you don't need to use the internet or a 3rd party software like Hamachi to create a virtual network.

Using your internal IP address that your wireless router assigns you (I'm assuming you're using wifi) is essentially what hamachi does for you, but without the overhead of hamachi.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
          • Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

It would seem to be?

• shadowpikachu

shadowpikachu Space Spelunker

You can join a unportforwarded server with hamachi or being on a LAN server.