1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Late Game Balance Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Grossmond, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Grossmond

Grossmond Master Chief

Hello all, was watching a friend who is streaming this game and in watching him at ~280 minutes I began to mention that he had crossed a line that now made him impossible to kill. At around 300 minutes he decided it was time to die because it was taking WAY too long for gold to convert to XP, by that I mean it was taking more time for gold to convert then levels were taking to clear. A 5 minute level was incurring ~10 minutes of waiting for conversion.

So he decided to let the enemies kill him, it was at that point we saw literally how far past the line of impossible to kill he really had gone. After 30 minutes of trying EVERYTHING in the book his only option left was to quit out and start over. He tried standing still and let the enemies pound on him, he ran around and gathered them up, he even began to jump at a spot that was doing massive fall damage as enemies beat on him. The end result was the same.

So I had several ideas to maybe assist in the violent murder of players who cross into an area of lets call it "late game". Note I am not saying these types of mobs should appear all game, and just specific enemies built around these ideas. Also if any of these ideas are already in game I apologize as I haven't picked up a copy myself just yet, though I can assure you I will be doing so as this game looks great and future online play would be amazing.

1.) Life Steal Resistant or Immune mobs/bosses
    2.) Enemies with a poison/toxin that Slows or Temporarily stops HP Regen
    3.) EMP enemies that disable shields for a bit

I was going to suggest Thorns-type mobs but I changed my mind because I always see Thorns as a bad mechanic as you are essentially punishing a player for doing good rather than throwing a curve ball at them they have to work around like the other ideas above.

Treadlight and Event Horizon like this.
    • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Especially 2) is something that I'd be really interested in seeing, even though it could be a major pain in the ass to deal with in-game.