Many questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, the occasional giant swarms of serpents can be... interesting. Aim carefully, and make sure you can always switch to your food quickly, that at least helps a little. I've found that the flying serpent hitbox is just a little bit larger than the sprite, so you might try swinging a bit earlier than you think you need to.
    (Needless to say, if you get the fog that indicates a large swarm of flying enemies incoming, it's ladder time.)

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

The main problem with the swarms of serpents is it can happen pretty much anytime (I had one of those at level one!), if you can avoid the swarm it's not too bad as they announce they are coming. The big problem is they are relentless until defeated so if you have a swarm better hope they don't surround you.

While I think about it, does the .05% chance of dropping the shard happen in the area where you get the dark talisman (the slime grubs and slime flying bugs) too, or will they not drop the prismatic shard at all?

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Wiki says "all monsters" so I guess it applies there too, but I don't know anyone insane enough to actually try.

• GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I was horribly low on iron ore and decided it was a good month to spend in the mine mining for it. I had probably spent 3/4 of spring in there. I killed a regular old bat and got a prism shard! Who knew! Also got my iron supply up in the process!

• Elenna101

The wiki pages for those enemies also say 0.05% chance of a prismatic shard after reaching the bottom of the mines, in any case.
            https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Mutant_Grub
            https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Mutant_Fly

I've heard of players getting shards from the slimes in the secret woods, so I assume the mutant bug lair is also possible.

• GeekWoman

As I mentioned, I got a prismatic shard from a regular old bat on the 70something level of the mine. So I got my fancy dancy galaxy sword! Apparently this is the best weapon. Take THAT slimes! That was a goal I had for myself and I was glad I reached it! Now I'm looking at what else I'd like to accomplish.

New Questions:
              • What is the purpose of upgrading the community center?
              • I have around 600k in the bank. I know that I need to save for the gold clock at 10 million????, but is there anything in between really? I'm getting ready to increase my artisan production as I seem to really enjoy making stuff. My greenhouse is full of star fruit, ancient fruit and spice berries. I've been looking at the shed for increasing my production (yes I know I can use barns for that but for now I think the shed will be just fine). I grow seasonal stuff on my property and harvest it myself. Considering getting some of those huts for the Junimos and let them gather my seasonal stuff.
              • Is it correct that you can only put casks in the basement of the house? I learned I was able to craft casks and did a few to test it out, putting them in the basement. I see where I can add a few more and still move around.
              • Am I the only hoarder here? Once I got my cash flowing properly, I started hoarding everything. I have hundreds of applies, apricots, corn, gems. I figure if I sold half of the stuff I've got shoved in chests, I'd be a millionaire many times over.
              Onward and upward at the Monroe Farm!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
                Surenu likes this.
              • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Basically the challenge behind it, the role playing aspect and the various rewards to get.
                There's a bunch of stuff to invest in, such as the return szepter, upgraded coops and barns... I just wish there was an option to decorate my sheds with piles of money so I can brag.
                You can put them anywhere but they only work in the cellar.

I doubt it :D

GeekWoman likes this.
                • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

- Go to the Adventurer's Guild some time and check out the Galaxy Hammer, which becomes available once you obtain the Galaxy Sword.

- The purpose of the Community Center is twofold:

1) To provide players with a challenge to overcome that also assists the town as a whole and gives the player warm fuzzies for completing it.
                  1a) To contrast the Joja route in which the player 'sells out' the town.

2) Each bundle turned in provides the player with a reward. Some of them are quite nice rewards, in and of themselves. For example, the Spring Forage Bundle (attainable around the 6th or 7th if the 6th was raining) gives you 30 spring forage seeds, which you can immediately sell for over 1k, which is pretty substantial for your first week (assuming you aren't an expert fisherman). You can at least guaranty you get a small magnet ring by completing the Adventure Bundle (able to be completed as soon as you hit the 40's when you encounter ghosts) if RNG has not been kind to you, There's a small glow ring as well, but it is the reward for the Night Fishing Bundle which requires a Walleye which won't show up until Fall. The 10k gold Vault bundle nets you a Lightning Rod, which is very useful if you haven't gotten your Foraging up to 6 by the time Summer comes around.

As far as other things to spend money on... I never have a shortage of things to spend cash on, including:

* I'm always purchasing wood and stone from Robin, even at the usurious prices she charges in Year 2 and beyond, and also generally purchasing a healthy amount of Coal from Clint. My goal is nearly 400 Kegs, as a start, just for my Greenhouse production. That's... a LOT of wood. Also another 180ish or so Jars. Which is wood, stone, and most expensively, COAL. Ramping up your production is a multi-million dollar investment. Pays off handsomely, though.

* Return Scepter. Right click go home, from wherever you are. Including the Skull Caves when the mist rolls in... this is your 'nope stick'. It'll set you back 2 million.

* Beach Totem. No no, hear me out. You can get a lot of good stuff from crab pots out in the Ocean. Things like Lobsters live there. Beach Totem gives you an instant warp to the beach with a right click to send you there instantly to collect and re-bait your crab traps. I don't suggest the Mountain Totem, though, as you already have the Minecarts. Combo with the Return Scepter so you can warp to the beach, take care of your dailies there, and warp back home instantly and be back before second breakfast.

* Junimo Huts aren't particularly amazing IMO, because they don't work in the rain. I don't want to have to manually go out and harvest my stuff just because it rains. I spend a hefty chunk of resources on something ONLY available AFTER I've completed the Community Center, I expect consistency out of my purchase. But they are cute and adorable when the work. Fairly slow, but adorable.

- Aging Casks only function in the basement, although they may be placed anywhere for aesthetic purposes. You can fit around 120 of them down there and still have room to move around and collect them all. You can squeeze in more if you don't mind having to break and replace a good chunk of them, but that seems like too much effort for me.

- No, you aren't the only hoarder here. We have a help group, meet up in the Stardrop Saloon during the day on Wednesdays. Every meeting you attend, you get a little badge which is otherwise worthless, but cute and collectable. Some of us probably have hundreds of the damn things by now. Topics discussed include proper chest management, sorting and organizing your horde, tips and tricks for increasing your horde, and more! I keep telling myself 'It is only because it might be a thing someone requests on the Bulletin Board for a quick reward...', maybe some day I'll actually believe that too ;)

GeekWoman likes this.
                  • Elenna101

Do you mean Robin's "Community upgrade"? That's not upgrading the community center, that's actually giving Pam and Penny a new house. It's mostly for the satisfaction of it (and to give you something to spend money on when you have oodles of it)

I'm right here with you, yeah :p One day I will convince myself that I don't need thousands of sap, especially since I don't even use much fertilizer late-game because quality doesn't matter when stuff is processed...

GeekWoman likes this.
                    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.

Dozens of them, stolen from Evelyn's garbage over the years

We stored them in a chest, just in case

Also guilty of this.....

GeekWoman and Elenna101 like this.
                      • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

While I'm not a hoarder, I'll chime in on something...

It can still be fun to check out the help wanted board and see the crazy requests (Haley's love you forever requests as an example), and I'll second the return scepter as a good investment. Yeah it costs 2 million, but it's a great way to quickly get home from anywhere. Level 74 in the Skull mines, need to get out fast? *click on return scepter* ah home, how sweet it is!

GeekWoman and Surenu like this.
                        • UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

A consequence of completing the community center is that many people will change their schedules after the fact to spend time there. I don't have an exact list, but the wiki does. it may or may not help you if you are searching for them for gifts.

Another benefit to completing the community center is that Pierre will now be open on Wednesdays. Which is pretty helpful for folks like me.

GeekWoman likes this.
                          • Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi my name is Ltfightr and I am a hoarder too. However I am trying to reform. I have started a new challenge game with the rule of one chest only! I can use the refrigerator for food only and the Autograbber for Barn milk and wool only. Damm it is tough! you can only save the absolutely critical items. Plus part of this challenge is to complete the community center. Going the JOJA mart will make this a lot easier but well no.

GeekWoman likes this.
                            • UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

Good luck with that. It sounds very tough.
                              I'm going to try to not hoard as much next game, but I can't cut down to one chest yet. I'm not that strong. :)

If you mean the
                              Community Upgrade for 500,000 and 950 wood, then...

See also: Trailer

After fully upgrading the Farmhouse and completing the Community Center (or purchasing a JojaMart membership), players are able to purchase a "Community Upgrade" at the Carpenter's Shop for [​IMG]500,000g and 950 Wood. Robin will then build a new house for Pam (and Penny, if the player is not married to Penny). Note that only the host player in a multiplayer game is able to purchase this upgrade.

your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2019
                                GeekWoman likes this.
                              • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

If you're talking about completing (rebuilding) the community center...
                                There is a continued quest line that doesn't open up until after the community center is reopened. While everyone kind of agrees that the game has no end, completing the community center and the following quests, and opening new locations it offers, is kind of assumed of any claim to have completed the game.

It's not a really deep story line after the community center is complete but if you haven't done it, there's still more to see in the game.

Thinking... My answer's kinda off base...
                                If you're already looking at the option of buying the clock, you've already completed the community center. Still it's a good answer for anyone who's wondering, why struggle to get that last fish. Completing the CC doesn't just roll the credits. There's more game there.

GeekWoman likes this.
                                • GeekWoman

What delightful answers to my questions. Thank you all!

Yes, I was talking about the completed community center UPGRADE. I will never consider the game "completed" in that I won't play it. I was just curious if there were any benefits/bonuses/kudos for doing the upgrade. Sounds like it would just be a nice thing to do for the community and especially for Pam and Penny.

@ShneekeyTheLost Great ideas on ways to spend that hard earned cash. I will be seeking out that scepter as soon as I get enough saved. I have made a few of the various totems. I need to stock up on the beach ones. I tend to not go down there enough just because of the time. How the heck do you get 120 casks in the basement??? I have 44 and while I know I can have more, I can't imagine how to arrange anything close to what you are talking about.

@Ltfightr Fortunately I don't have a desire to challenge myself to get to one chest. I currently only have 17 but that's about to increase. I want to be more efficient in my artisan career. I keep thinking that someone day, someone will ask for that ONE thing that I don't have in one of my chests. What kind of community member would I be if I wasn't prepared? Not sure what I'll need those 27 opals for but there must be SOMETHING.

@Elenna101 Just last time I played, it finally dawned on me that my bottles of wine ALL start out regular quality. *smacks forehead twice for good measure* I only make wine from my star and ancient fruits which is what my greenhouse is full of. I DO like to fertilize the spice fruit since you get more cash for the gold ones. For my outside seasonal stuff, I like to use the deluxe speed-grow just to give it a chance to grow faster. So I guess I COULD reduce some space in my seed chest by dumping all the regular quality fertilizer and regular speed grow and water retaining stuff that I'll never use. I don't think that will disqualify me as a hoarder so I guess I'll see you guys at the saloon on Wednesdays...

• ShneekeyTheLost

It takes some doing, but entirely possible. Line the walls, then start making rows of kegs two thick, with one space gap between.

GeekWoman likes this.
                                    • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

The wiki has images showing optimal layout. I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you're a real masochist, you can break all your casks, then refill the cellar with casks filling them as you go. That way it can be filled solid, with 189 casks and they'll all be ready at the same time. I've done that one time and it's not really as annoying as it appears. You kinda dig in a path, two or three wide, then just move the casks from one side of the path to the other, refilling as you go. Always trying to leave a path back out.

GeekWoman likes this.
                                      • GeekWoman

Next question: Not long after I fully upgraded my barn, I was gifted two baby goats. Since that time, I haven't had any new babies born. I checked my animals to make sure to allow pregnancy and my barn isn't maxed out at all. Was it just dumb luck that it happened so quickly at first?

• ShneekeyTheLost

Straight from the wiki:

So it seems like yes, your two goat pregnancies were an extraordinary stroke of luck. Praise RNG!

GeekWoman likes this.