Modding Discussion Minimap

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MithranArkanere, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

All I need right now is a mini-map.

None of the mods I've found are decent enough, and without a mini-man, I can't remember where anything is, making my sporadic play sessions impossible, as when I return I' lost.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, I find that I rarely care enough about a planet to find something again, and even if I did land on a planet for resources, they are usually near the beam-down point, or I'll build a teleporter or stick a flag near it and use torches to point the way towards it. Just follow the torches!

If I build a base, it's usually on the surface and has a teleporter or a flag.

lordbociek likes this.
  3. ElainaLycan

ElainaLycan Tentacle Wrangler

Only reason I can see a reason for a minimap is to find lost items, there has been so many times where I've died repeatedly only to basically give up because I couldn't find things in time.

Obviously it'd need limitations(possibly like Terraria's Minimaps where it only shows discovered paths) and prerequisites to use.

Flexiblue and The Squid like this.
  4. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Well, that's what modding is for, create a mod that leaves a signal from the point where you died, like No Man's Sky, when you die, you see the icon of a grave, your grave, and so you recover the objects, I think it's possible to make a mod like that.

For example, when you are doing a mission and you must find an NPC, there is an arrow that indicates where it is, even if it is above you or below you, the arrow indicates where you have to go, you could do something similar to that, when you die, a marker indicates where your objects are and when you find them, the marker disappears, I am 100% sure that this can be done, I think it's a good idea and it would be a mod that I would install, is there a thread of requests? It would be interesting to comment hehe

In my case, I have died many times on large planets, being many meters underground, I always find where I died, I call it "internal radar" xDD

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  5. ElainaLycan

ElainaLycan Tentacle Wrangler

I don't have that sorta "internal radar" tbh, my memory is very unreliable and even when I can recognize certain patterns and caverns I tend to not go straight to a destination. My mining on most planets is less mining, more caving, so that doesn't help. I think as much as a mod would help, it would be so much better to have a built in, but limited minimap. Maybe like a tier 2 object or something and upgradable depending on progression. Obviously it wouldn't be good with X-raying for ores, that's not why I want it, I just want it for retraveling paths I've taken before in case I left something behind, or needed something(then again most points of interest aren't exactly interesting, once you've seen one, you've seen them all).

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I usually drop torches as I go, so if I were to die or otherwise leave and come back, just follow the line of torches. Takes me right back to where I was.

7. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Do you pick up the torches later? if you leave things on many planets the game is not accumulating cache (or something like that) and starts to get worse? How much worse performance?

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Every block you put on screen (that is, a 32x32 tile square worth of planet) is stored in that planet's .world file, even if you don't touch anything. I don't think every block on the planet is actually loaded into memory, though, so if you're a fair way from your line of torches, they should have no real impact.

davoker and Xylia like this.
  9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've never noticed a decrease in performance, even after laying down 200, 300+ torches in a single world after a long mining session.

I'm 99% sure that blocks load in as Kawa said, because on an older computer back when we had different sizes of worlds, extremely large worlds would lag enough that you'd hit loading seams and your character would be stuck if you tried to go into an area that wasn't loaded yet, even if you had been there already.

What causes the performance decreases, are NPCs such as a large town or village, because those are all loaded as you near them, and large numbers of objects near each other (it takes longer to load a chunk if you have 1, 2, 3 thousand objects within that chunk).

If we're talking about just torches, the difference is negligible, and I tend to space torches out a bit so that any given chunk might only have a couple dozen of them.

Kawa likes this.
  10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Since none of this was about Discord starbound, moved the discussion to a separate thread.

11. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Oh I understand, that's going to make the game easier for me, I always pick up my torches for not leaving them on the planets, when you put many a complicated task is done xD

You who are modder, do you know if it is possible to make a mod that works as I say above? If you die and your objects fall to the ground you have to go and look for them, sometimes it can be complicated if you do not know where to return, would a mod that indicates with an arrow where your objects would be possible?

In my head, it would work just like the NPC missions of "find X NPC and give him the object", there is a small arrow indicating where he is, and if it is below you or higher, it would be possible to do it for when your objects fall to the ground when dying? that a small mission be activated to indicate where they are?

I hope you understand, my English is very basic and for some phrases I have to use a translator (for everything not xD).

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm not sure if it would be. Modding is a broad thing, and where Starbound modding is concerned I've never looked into these trackers.

13. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

it's possible, I saw a mod like that somewhere.

14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Omg, let's see if you remember the name! hehe

15. Cryptoid

Uuggh
    Let's see...

16. Cryptoid

And I can't remember the name. I'll post it when it comes to me.

davoker likes this.
  17. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Master Chief

davoker likes this.
  18. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks! I'll see if it works with version 1.3, it says it's updated for "1.2 API", so I do not know if it will work.

19. Meme Queen Sophia

Meme Queen Sophia Void-Bound Voyager

i think a minimap would be useful for when you're trying to make a colony or something so you can get a good idea of how big the planet is and plan out the colony respectively