1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Minor Tweaks

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Treadlight, May 11, 2013.

1. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

A few minor tweaks to smaller parts of the game to make it slightly better.

Making the word "BETA" on the title screen tilt to the left instead, since the word "DEMO" already tilts to the right. Obviously not necessary, but would be a nice touch.

Please remove the extra decimals and zeroes from the version number. A decimal point indicates that the following digits are tenths of the previous, extra decimal points don't change the syntax. 0.30.0.0 = 0.3

The rusty knife allows to make any enemy bleed, even golems. Creatures without blood shouldn't be able to bleed.

There's a gramatical error in the order description for the Fire Shield. "After taking more then 10% of your health as damage, explode for 200% damage." The error is that "then" should be 'than'.

Making the ropes wider by one pixel in both directions would allow it to be easier to grab them.

Being able to attack while climbing a rope, this one may need a bit of discussion.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

No, this is not how it works. In game development, 0.30.0.0 means Game Version 0, Build 30, Update 0, Revision 0. Something along those lines. The exact rules of how they update their numbers are up to the devs themselves and possibly are just done at random. The extra digits at the end tell you whether or not the new version of the game was a major update or a small one. The very last zero at the end could possibly be incremented if nothing changed except bugfixes; the very first digit usually means that the whole game's coding was rewritten, but this all depends on what the devs choose to do themselves.

"Bleeding" is common in gaming terminology to tell the player that the enemy's healthbar slowly drains overtime as an after effect, like when a real-life animal would be 'bleeding out', losing lifeforce, if you will. Anything could "Bleed" damage, from a Lemurian to the Evil Office Building Boss.

Thank you for also noticing. I already informed the devs of more such occurences.

No, I think that would put the player at an unfair advantage; most enemies already don't attack you on ropes. They're like the only safe zone in the game. Neutral territory - well, except for the Jellyfish, but the Jellyfish are rotters.
      If you really want to attack from a rope, jump off, attack and reverse mid-air to regrab the rope. Adds a little challenge to your everyday attack scheme. ;)

• Treadlight

I've noticed that I often get the hotbar—or whatever it's called—horizontally confused, how many people do you think would use the option to flip it?
        Oh, okay. I tried to see if the extra decimal points meant anything before posting, but I couldn't really find any information.
        I know that already, it just doesn't make sense for golems, as golems are just animated statues. They don't have any sort of life-giving mass that could leak out.
        I remember seeing this thread, but I thought it would be in suggestions. Thank you for redirecting me to it.
        I was fairly certain that the player couldn't really reach any non-flying enemies while on a rope, anyway. I don't want to be able to attack while climbing if it really is able to reach enemies that can't reach you.

• Shrooblord

Well, it makes sense in the view of "Bleeding lifeforce", like I said. It's just a general way of saying that it causes a chain-reaction in which the target's HP or Energy is reduced continually. Let's keep things simple and keep it at "Bleeding" for all enemies, and not change the name of the process for different enemies, which would just be confusing.

• Trenched_Colonel

Trenched_Colonel Seal Broken

It's not game breaking or anything but in the options menu having to manually go from 0% through 100% can be pretty annoying. I like the idea that one click allows a change of 10% but I don't know if it could be implemented to shift-click or right click to drop 10%.

• Trenched_Colonel

OOH, also, it would be nice if the cursor disappeared after the character starts to move around, as it serves no purpose during combat.

Active Link likes this.
              • Shrooblord

You can move it outside of the screen. ;)

Maybe there should be a slider bar that goes from 0% to 100%?

• Treadlight

I feel like there should be damage numbers for the drones getting hit, as it's hard to tell whether or not they actually are taking damage in larger swarms of monsters. I was also wondering that since you get your health refilled at the end of every level, why don't your drones get the same?

• Trenched_Colonel

Or at least a health bar. I understand that their physical form conveys some of the damage.

• Shrooblord

They do have damage numbers. Whenever you're not being hit and still see purple numbers (purple meaning allied and player damage) flying off, it's your drones getting bashed. The only problem is that the only way of telling that they're about to die is when they go "!" on you, and even that's not a great indication.
                      However, I do think that's part of the challenge: developping a feeling for when the drones will die is part of the game.

• Treadlight

Okay, how about making the drones circling HAN-D go in the opposite direction when moving left?

• Shrooblord

Wouldn't reversing the movement as you flip around make it look really messy? I'm not sure - it might look really cool, but that's the impression I get when I think about it.

• Treadlight

They move slowly already, and there are other games that do this and have much faster spinning speeds. It should work fine, and if it doesn't, they can always undo it.

• Shrooblord

Here's something I'll quote from another post:
                              I'd like for the timer to be like a transparent clockface that is centered around the player. The clock's hand ticks down around the clockface and when it hits 12, the effect wears off. I think that'd look pretty neat.

Burby likes this.