Modding Help Need Help Understanding Something

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Chromium.dat, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Chromium.dat

Chromium.dat Void-Bound Voyager

Hello Stabounders! I'm currently in the midst of trying to make a new mod for the community, and just trying to start it I've already ran into an issue. I do also want to say that I have zero experience in LUA. A long time ago I was able to make a bunch of items for myself personally but, even then I don't have a single clue of what I'm doing. So due to this, I am sorry for my ignorance and lack of understanding.

The main thing I wanted to try and do was setup a new button on the main menu. I've been spending hours and hours trying to look for (what I assume to be, this is me stupidly assuming) the function of 'mainMenuButtons' found in the 'title.config' file. I simply wanted to understand the function of this as reference to help me set up a new button for the menu I had in mind. But I've been spending hours on end trying to figure this out with no luck searching all around in the assets folder. Not only did I look around in the assets folder but I've also been looking around all online as well on how this could work, and someone posted the same question and assumed that this 'mainMenuButtons' was hardcoded into the game. That maybe someone has an understanding of what exactly I'm trying to go after and could explain it to me in a way that my ignorant mind could understand. If I simply need to build this said button with a new (still assuming) function then so be it, I just want to understand how this works. Or if there's a mod that does this and could help me reference this button I want to setup that would be great too. Thank you so much to anyone in advance for responding!

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

IIRC that's accomplished by hard coding on the C++ side. Leaving you only JSON to play with, but no ability to add new buttons/functionality to that interface. I'm sure that's not the answer you where hoping for.

But I could remember wrong since it was a long time since I looked at it the menu. I can tell you that's definitely true of the Inventory interface though since that hard-coding has gotten in the way of some things I'd like to add. Also true of the hotbar/hotkeys, thus leaving me no (functioning) way to add hotkey support to additional slots or control the scroll wheel order.