Modding Discussion Notifications

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by omarzion, Oct 22, 2016.

1. omarzion

omarzion Big Damn Hero

I was looking through the unpacked assets and online and I can't find a way to create a notification.

I am modifying scripts/items/rotting.lua and trying to send a notification based on food rotTime

I noticed that the global player isn't accessible from rotting.lua, so I can't use player.remoteMessage

Does anyone now of any other ways to create notifications?

I would really like to create notifications like the ones on the bottom when you pick up items if that's possible.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Probably with world.sendEntityMessage()
    Scanning through /items/ I can see that's used in some code so clearly it is accessible.
    But then you need to know the player's ID I suppose. I haven't tried to do this.

world.playerQuery() would give you the players so I think that's how you'd find them. I need to look at player scripts to give you a better answer. Something is obviously already set up.

3. omarzion

omarzion Big Damn Hero

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been really busy.

I tried using world.playerQuery, but I don't believe world is accessible.

[18:50:29.323] [Error] Exception while invoking lua function 'ageItem'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/items/rotting.lua"]:33: attempt to index a nil value (global 'world')

Here is what I tried
    local entityID = world.playerQuery(entity.position(), 15, {order = "nearest"})
    local playerUUID = world.entityUuid(entityID)
    world.logInfo("playerUUID" + playerUUID)

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure my checking showed world was exposed.
    It isn't impossible that not all world functions are though.

Now your code has an issue. I believe playerUUID would be a string already so no need to do tostring(playerUUID) but I don't think you can use + to joint strings together normally. The normal way is to use ..
    ...unless some metamethod voodoo is in effect or I just didn't know that would actually work.
    Code:
    world.logInfo("\nplayerUUID = " .. playerUUID .."\n")
    Now that should work. Try that.

5. omarzion

omarzion Big Damn Hero

world.logInfo('world-info-blah') on line 8 produces error
    (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/items/rotting.lua"]:8: attempt to index a nil value (global 'world')