1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

NPCs dying randomly.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TurboRaptor, Jul 28, 2016.

1. TurboRaptor

TurboRaptor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I'm not sure if this is the fault of any installed mods, or if there's some sort of invisible, unstoppable force going around. At random times, NPCs seem to just die and occasionally drop loot. While that might seem fine and dandy, this applies to Quest NPCs too. Anyone else have this issue?

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep! I thought it had been a pre-release nightly/unstable thing at first, but even in 1.0 some Floran quest NPCs "poofed" out of existence randomly.
    Not fun...

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. captainradish

captainradish Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder if NPCs suffer from hunger and are starving to death. It happens for me as well.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've only had it happen to a lumberbot from the Gardenbot 2.0 mod, but random death is still bizarre.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. captainradish

captainradish Void-Bound Voyager

It happened mostly (for me) on forest planets in Avian towns. Puzzling.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Axerax

Axerax Poptop Tamer

At least you've not had them follow you into a spike put trap, you get out and they plea I cannot reach you only to die by the spikes.

The quest npcs might need to be scripted to know to avoid hazards that the player interacted with. Though I've had them do this before as well and one died when I just reached the quest giver. Thoroughly disappointed.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Polecat

Polecat Phantasmal Quasar

I actually reported on the support forum that I was getting a lot of quests that were failing instantly... I'm also seeing almost every vendor in various villages/towns just being dead, just a bit of stuff/loot on the ground where they should be.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Had this happen last night, too. Weird part was it was mainly guards dying.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Axerax

Axerax Poptop Tamer

La chipacabra... Lol just kidding. It makes you wonder though what monster went through and killed them all.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. ArmageddonDevil

ArmageddonDevil Void-Bound Voyager

same, can't even get some tenants to spawn without them dying
    and every settlement I visit does this

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Can people list exactly what mods their using? It might help narrow down what could be causing this to happen.

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Polecat

The only mods I used that would affect the gameplay (Enhanced containers and the Pony Modpack) I've since removed because I thought exactly that. No joy tho, it's still happening to me. otherwise it's all visual tweaks that wouldn't affect gameplay.

13. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I found that the problem for myself was the steam Avali mod, dunno if it completely solved it. The problem stemmed from some sort of conversation error or something that occurs in race mods that have even a 'small' mistake in the diolouges. Of course it's completely possible it could be something else for you.

14. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

You can destroy the traps with your MM before traversing the dangerous terrain.

15. Polecat

I don't have the Avali mod installed, but I do have the Fenerox one installed, makes me wonder if that's the problem? I know the dying NPC vendors is event affecting the Apex you recruit in the Ark...

16. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't have any mods installed and I witnessed a floran guard randomly dying when it walked away from the village...

17. LunarLion

LunarLion Void-Bound Voyager

Just had this happen to a couple of Avian guards yesterday. It helped me steal a nice beam rifle, but still...

18. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

or maybe they just die by attack from mob ?

19. Polecat

Alright, I found the culprit in my case. Was a small mod that added cotton to the vendors at the Outpost. Somehow this was killing all the other vendors... Wouldn't have thought that would be the cause but... eh. Least I tracked it down. Was the Workshop mod "Give me Cotton!" that was the culprit in this case.

20. LunarLion

LunarLion Void-Bound Voyager

No, there were no mobs nearby, and they were indoors (well, inside watch towers)