Pine tar bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnexpectedParole, Dec 25, 2019.

1. UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

Two farms back to back. I got foraging 3 on the tth. Manufactured tappers on the morning of the 8th and placed them all on pine trees. 7 total between the two farms.

My resin was not ready until The morning of the 14th which is too late for the strawberries.

Any one else have this issue?

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't done early speed-gro myself, but I wonder if it's related to the fact that sleeping before 2am doesn't make machines process faster anymore?

Also, at least on 1.3, harvesting tappers later in the day meant the next harvest would appear earlier in the day that it would have if you did the first harvest in the morning. Unintuitive, I know. Not sure if that applies to the first harvest of resin, but what happens if you place the tappers at night on the 8th instead of first thing in the morning?

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Pine tar will take (10000 - timeOfDay ) minutes to process. Taking 10am as an example, that means they will need 9000 minutes to process. Since a day in Stardew is 1600 minutes (60x20 + 100x4), that means it will need 5.625 days to process. If placed on the 8th, being ready on the 14th makes sense since that would be the 6th day of processing.

EDIT: If you don't place the tappers until late at night, you might have just enough time because of the quirky time calculations. A tapper paced at 8pm would need 8000 minutes to process which would be exactly 5 days and be ready the evening of the 13th.

• UnexpectedParole

That has to be a bug yeah?

It makes no logical sense that a tapper takes less time to operate if placed at night.

Either way then rushing to build them and place them in the morning screwed me.

Thanks for the information. I'll verify it when I try again.
          Are maple syrup and oak resin the same function? Just a day more each?

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wonder if maybe the intention was that no matter what time of day you harvest it, it will be ready at the same time the next harvest? E.g. maybe he wanted it to produce a new harvest at 6 am regardless of the time of day of the previous harvest? That would have been a nice quality of life thing, but if that's the case, then he obviously messed up the calculation. And yes, this way doesn't make any sense.

AFAIK maple syrup and oak resin are the same thing, just with longer processing time (larger number in place of the 10000 in the formula MouseyPounds gave)

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

Before 1.4, I used to be able to place pine tappers any time on the 8th and they'd be ready the day of the festival. Tappers placed later in the day were ready earlier, as you say. In 1.4, I placed some tappers in the late afternoon of the 8th and they were not ready until 1.30am on festival day. It's useful to know that 8pm ought to work (and presumably later is better). I went for putting them down on 7th on my next run-through.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, the formulas haven't changed so the difference is probably in the sleep timings as Elenna mentioned. It seems like anything after noon should be harvestable on the 5th day; as you said, the later the better though.

• UnexpectedParole

The sleeping time changes means less hours are put towards the tapper "filling up" sure. I thought that was the issue.

But that isn't really the issue though if something place in the morning is done after something I place in the night.

Does this mean if I harvest the pine tar in the morning I need to untapp the tree and re-tap it later in the night to have it harvest in the AM next time?

Honeywell likes this.
                  • Honeywell

Honeywell Phantasmal Quasar

Everything seems to take 2 days longer (tappers placed in the am). I didn't experiment with placing the tappers at different times but it took 7 days for pine tar, 9 days for oak resin and 11 days for maple syrup so that's what I'm planning for. I'll try and remember to harvest at night to shave some time off but it's nonsensical...

• UnexpectedParole

I just did a new farm and got 2 or 3 tappers on pine trees on the 7th and either 3 (or 2) on the 8th late in the day. I have not had time to play to get to day 13 yet to see if any of them are harvest able or not.

I'll post back when I can.

Honeywell likes this.