1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Possibilities of a new race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alexthe666, Aug 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Alexthe666

Alexthe666 Starship Captain

If you've been keeping up with the nightly builds you can see the developers are almost done with all novakid stuff - lore, settlements, etc.

This means that all of the races are currently done, opening up an opportunity for a single new race.

I also think they've planned ahead for an extra 8th race, as you can see from the ancient gate texture:

[​IMG]

Note the cracked off heads next to the novakid heads.

Personally I think either a reptile or invertebrate would cover all of the categories, but that's my opinion.

If anyone has any thoughts, possibilities, or "evidence" like the texture above, feel free to comment.

2. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

The "8th race".... Isn't.

As in, it's not then a "race".

In the past, it used to actually be that early sprites of the gate were not defaced.

In place of an empty spot, what you used to have was the eye of the Ruin.

Mythril-Jelly likes this.
  3. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

The devs have already stated TIME AND TIME AGAIN, that there will be no new vanilla race any time soon.

Shaadaris and TheUnartist like this.
  4. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

This.

It takes a lot of work for a new race (unique descriptions for every inspectable item, etc), and frankly we already have enough races to choose from.

Might happen down the road once there isn't more important content to work on.

5. Can confirm we're not planning to add a new race!

Shaadaris, Ludovic and Ainzoal like this.
  6. Alexthe666

Alright thanks for confirming it, I'm new to the game and the forums so I didn't know.

7. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Beside.... adding a new race currently would mean having to rewrite for them actual reasons for them to be in the protectorate/etc.

The only way I could see new races being made playable is if there was an option to meet and recruit them as NPC, and -then- do something like "temporarily promote to captain" to literally switch the player character from the one at the start of the game to the selected crewmate.

-This- might be a way to include new official races without having to force them into protectorate lore by the simple fact they were never part of it and only "join" the protectorate when you personally recruit them into your crew.

8. Alexthe666

Well novakid aren't in the proctorate, but i see what you are getting at. The largest issue for them to me would be incorporating them in the storyline.

9. Crispeenerd38

Crispeenerd38 Yeah, You!

U all make good points but what about the 8the hole in the gate, and what if the ancients r a different race than the others, they can't be humans for sure

10. Crispeenerd38

Crispeenerd38 Yeah, You!

And if there is a new race, how about a typical alein race(ancients). you need explanation of who the Creator was, no human is that big, so they had to be a type of alien

11. Crispeenerd38

Crispeenerd38 Yeah, You!

And on another note, asra Knox's henchmen have huge eyes on their swords (different race?) But totally hate the ruin, who or what could they be working for?

12. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The 8th race was the ancients. They were wiped out by the Ruin.

And learn to edit your posts. No need to post 3 times in a row.

13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, it's outright stated that they worship the Ruin.