Price on the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JBob, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JBob

JBob Intergalactic Tourist

Hey CA! I'm seriously in love with SV and am wondering what the price would be if you could choose? I'd say it will be about $10 to $15 and if it is I'd smack down a preorder on this sucker right now!

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

Would love to know it myself, probably the same as Terraria? Or maybe a bit more?

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd pay $50. I mean that's the price I've been paying for Harvest Moon, when it's the same game over and over. Unlike Terraria, I hope CA thinks of a way to keep making money off of the game (DLC / micro-transactions / expansions) once it's released so that development can continue and he can keep adding new stuff.

• Lyrael

Lyrael Sandwich Man

I believe CA said $10 somewhere, and to be honest... feels like it's selling this game short a bit. I'd say it's probably worthy of a cool $15.

• DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd pay $15, or even up to $20. It looks like a fun game.

Erm. I really don't think they should do DLC or anything like that, Terraria didn't and they sold over a million copies in about a year or so. And they didn't stop post development on Terraria because of money issues, they stopped it cause the main person behind it decided to drop it and start working on other stuff.

I'm saying they shouldn't do DLC because it really breaks up the userbase. This guy has the DLC, this guy doesn't, there's an instant void between them which with games like this, can do more harm then good.

But that's my opinion at least and I'm kinda getting off topic. >.<

• Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

While I do believe that ape deserves it, I also don't have that much to burn. One thing I really like about ape and the Chucklefish team is the idea of making it accessible for a lot of people. I'll easily drop $10 - $15 no question, but the game becomes less accessible at a higher cost, and e choice to purchase becomes more difficult. Then again, an extra $50 in my pocket isn't going to help me pay off my grad loans much easier, so maybe it's still a no brainer at $50! Stay in school kiddos...the real world sucks lol.

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, in today's game climate with all the free to play games and steam sales I don't think an indie game could charge $50. I'm just saying I would pay $50.

I do think that there should be some kind of model where content updates down the line should be purchased. Maybe mini-expansion that cost $5. I don't think it's fair to buy a game for 10$ and then expect free content updates-- but I very much want to see content updates!

A game like this could do really well to add mini-story lines as content updates. For instance there could be a "travelling fair" content update that adds a county fair type event to the game every summer. Or a mysterious visitor type event that follows the story of a stranger who washes up on the beach, which eventually adds a new "sailing" activity to the game, etc...

Mopy likes this.
                • Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I think paying a small fee for game expansion is fair. I like the idea of a traveling fair, or perhaps adding new towns for a small fee with new NPCs? Maybe even an exotic animals/monsters pack?

• Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I would prefer it if the developer made it a single charge, so I dont have to worry about the updates to my game draining my wallet. Alot of first time developers can fall down the trap of expecting first time customers to keep paying for games. And while yes this does happen, alot of other people will see it as a ploy to get rich, and come off disgusted. Me? Ive been disappointed by the micro transition style of DLC so often that I would sooner see this game get free content updates now, and worry about later games using DLC, so then at least a faithful fanbase is built up, if and when CA goes on to build other games.

I like the idea of me not collectively paying alot of money for this game. I can literally not afford to pay 50 dollars for this game, and if forced between groceries/rent and getting this game, Im sorry, but Im eating in a warm house.

Cirom likes this.
                    • Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I can understand that. I think having a few optional expansions for a small fee would not be so bad provided the gameplay doesn't depend on it. My biggest pet peeve for games at the moment, is "free" games offered for mobile devices that require you to pay to have fun with the game. For example, I downloaded fit brains for my phone recently, and I was very disappointed to discover that not only were you required to pay if you went past 5 sessions, but that you had to pay for a yearly subscription and not a flat fee. Well, that was pretty intolerable to me, and I did see it as just a way to make more money from the product. Fortunately, I haven't run into much of that with indie developers who truly care about their game and not the all mighty dollar. I'm more inclined to hand over a few extra dollars for an expansion pack to a person like concernedape rather than a faceless company. Anyhoo, maybe ape could have a flat fee and a name your own price deal for additional content like humble bundle?

• cranberryplains

cranberryplains Tentacle Wrangler

I think this is pretty unlikely, but it would be cool if you could pay a minimum for it, something like $10, and pay extra if you think it's worth it. I feel like this game really is worth more then $10, but with the way the market is today, as mentioned before, paying something like $50 for an indy game is unthinkable.

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

This is a valid point. I plan to play this with my friends and if I have the DLC (which I definitely plan to get btw :) ), but I would be concerned if I can no longer play with them if I am a version ahead. To be fair, there's probably a way to allow newer versions to play well with older versions. Neverwinter Nights did this well.

peace

• caskett

caskett Pangalactic Porcupine

I would pay a lot for this game, but I think pre-order should be $10 and retail should be $15.

• Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

I'd pay 15-20 myself.

• Cariyaga

Cariyaga Void-Bound Voyager

I'd pay as much as 25 for the game. I'm more interested in if there will be a 4-pack available.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

No can we not have microtransactions okay thanks

Bjoern_B likes this.
                                  • Sunako_Kirishiki

Sunako_Kirishiki Subatomic Cosmonaut

Definite NO to micro transactions. but i would love Large Scale DLC nothing small that you could call an update.
                                    $5 DLC is good
                                    $10 DLC is better

*Loves DLC*

Bjoern_B likes this.
                                    • Rafasmeers

Rafasmeers Subatomic Cosmonaut

What do you think about the same price of Starbound?
                                      About DLC , i will agree only if the content is good and cheap. ( A tolerable price )

• Sunako_Kirishiki

Sunako_Kirishiki Subatomic Cosmonaut

Starbound's price is too cheap. i could not help but to buy it at a mere $15 i feel as bad as if id pirated it.

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Hey, that money was a chunk outta my non income budget man.

DontheDon likes this.