Questions: Multiplayer Marriages, Children, and Divorce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LucidFlux, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LucidFlux

LucidFlux Intergalactic Tourist

Since we have confirmation that you will be able to marry other live players in game I had a few questions come to mind...

1) How will you marry another player? Will this just be a setting you turn on, or will you actually court and date the other player before you can marry them?
    2) Will you be able to have children with another player that you've married?
    3) If you can have children and you are playing as a female character, will you get pregnant? Will gameplay be effected while you're pregnant?
    4) Will you be able to get divorced similar to Harvest Moon? Will you be able to divorce another player?
    5) If you get divorced and have children, what happens to the kids? And if you are married to another player and get divorced then which player gets the kids?
    6) Since same-sexed marriages are supported, will same-sexed couples be able to have children? Will there be a way to adopt children?

I know these are a bit in depth, but if you have any information you can give on them I'd really appreciate it :) Thanks!

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

You won't have to "court" the other player... but you'll probably have to pay a substantial fee, as well as have certain conditions met... so that there's still some challenge to getting married.
      Yes.
      You'll get pregnant, but it won't affect gameplay.

Yes you'll be able to divorce, somehow. (Can you get divorced in Harvest Moon? I haven't played some of the more recent games, so I'm a little out of the loop.)

That's a good question! There's a couple ways to do it... If you divorce an NPC, they could always just take the kids with them, or you could simply pick whether you wanted to take the kids or not. If you divorce another player, you could either come to a unanimous decision to leave the kids with one parent, or differ in opinion and have the kids taken away from both parents. Another, simpler solution is to just have the kids taken away in every case (they go to the orphanage).

Same-sex couples will be able to adopt. :)

Stylµs and Mopy like this.
      • Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

... Did Question 6 really need to be answered?

• Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I wish to throw in another question. How will raising children work?

• LucidFlux

LucidFlux Intergalactic Tourist

Firstly thank you so much for responding :) I really appreciate it but it has also sparked some additional question, if you don't mind...

1) In Harvest Moon for SNES (Which is my favorite) your wife would leave you if you were a jerk, aka flirted with other people, always said the wrong thing, and so on, so yes you could actually get "Divorced". So what I was wondering was will NPCs be similar in that if you flirt with other NPCs you are not married to and say all the wrong things will they actually leave?
            2) Here's another interesting question... If you end up divorcing another player and you end up keeping the children, if you remarry can you have more children with your new spouse? Is there a limit on the number of children a player can have?
            3) Will children top out at a certain age similar to Harvest Moon, and not grow older beyond a certain point?
            4) Since it was mentioned that you might be able to send children to an orphanage after divorce and the same-sexed couples can adopt, will there
            actually be a physical orphanage in game that you can go too? Can you decide to put your kids up for adoption and will they actually go there?
            Yes this did need to be answered, it adds an entirely new dimension to gameplay and a new play style :) I see that as important information.

• Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I was asking if it needed to be answered because that felt alot like you asked "Can lesbians get pregnant? or can gay couples get pregnant?"

That messes with your head you know.

• Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

What are the bonuses associated with marrying a player character?

From what I understand, if you marry an NPC, you get a free item every day. Marrying a PC seems to be a ripoff

• Throndir

Throndir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For those who are playing with their actual spouses, or significant others. It would be an interesting idea to get free things daily from marrying a PC. However I think for those who are already willing to go through and toil for a PC marriage, that in itself is a goal enough. Which, all in all, adds to the whole fun of the game.

• todayisok

todayisok Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay, I'll bite.

Will there be transgender and/or transsexual npcs to woo? If it will, I think it would be the first non dating sim game to have any (I may be wrong since I'm not a big videogamer). And also it could lead to some funny dialogue.
                    I want a Yuuki Kei for my SV character :notworthy:

• ReverseShadow

ReverseShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

Are you going to be able to dress your kids up? I absolutely need to give them all matching cowboy hats :sneaky:

Olivier likes this.
                      • Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I want to dress them in pirate suits.

Yarr, me be stealing yer hearts.

• Nimrod

Nimrod Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will heterosexual couples be able to adopt as well?

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I'd say probably. But I don't see a reason as to why, considering how there WILL be the ability to mate.

• Nimrod

Nimrod Subatomic Cosmonaut

You necro'd this thread quite a bit, but I asked in IRC (shortly after that first post) if asexuals (or otherwise unmarried characters) would be able to adopt, if they wish. ConcernedApe confirmed it. It is probably safe to say adoption is an option for any character.

postscriptum: Basically, the OP's sixth question is completely answered now.

• oath2order

Well, they're only asexual if you decide them to be, right? I mean, my version of a character could be straight but yours would be asexual. Anyways, nice to know about adoption being official then.

Nimrod likes this.
                                • Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

won't affect gameplay.
                                  won't affect gameplay.
                                  won't affect gameplay.

HOW!?

• oath2order

It won't though. That's how.

• BurlCato

BurlCato Aquatic Astronaut

Dumb question from big-thumbed forum-challenged console gamer: What does necro'd mean?

• oath2order

Ah that's okay. Brought back from the dead. It means to bring back a post that was originally dead and not commented on in a while.

• Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Sure why not. There's been weirder things happening in fiction.

Such as "two women (or men) love each other very much, now one of them is pregnant; no, we're not explaining, and yes, the baby really is the child of both women (or men)".