1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Save/Load

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by okok111, Jun 23, 2013.

1. okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey guys, just saying about how we are in need of a quick save system. For those unfamiliar to the notion of a quick save, it's where games save your exact point in the game before exiting you to the title screen, then when the save is loaded, it deletes the save. This'd fix a lot of inconveniences, and here's one example where it might come in useful:
    A couple of days ago, I was playing RoR on my 500w computer. I had finally achieved sweet god mode, and I had to go elsewhere for a social meeting. I left the computer on stand by, and when I came back RoR had crashed. (Not the fault of the game, just the way windows works.)
    This could have been avoided with a quick save which triggers upon quitting to the title screen. It wouldn't be that hard to implement, either. It could be done with the use of game makers builtin save and load (saving on quit, loading on use of play single player/multi player game with a yes/no "do you want to save" box) and it could just delete the save after loading it.
    Please forgive me if this sounds like a bit of a whine about my lost god mode, but this would be useful in a large amount of situations.

EDIT: List of roguelikes with saves, death saves or quick saves and no saves

No saves:

-Spelunky
    -Binding of Isaac

Quick save / Death delete save:

-100 rogues (iOS)
    -FTL
    -Nethack
    -Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (Not sure if was in original dungeon crawl)

Full save

-Dungeons of Dredmor
    -Sword of Fargoal (iOS)
    -Elona

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

I actually think that a 'One time Save' thingy like ya said seems like a good idea, would make it easier to sit down and play as most runs would last 40+ mins and then you get the epic runs which contuine for hours, having that time available it kinda hard, so being able to split it down into chunks would be a lot better (And would likely make me wanna play the game more, as I can be like 'oh I'll only play for 10 mins')

okok111 likes this.
      • Knight Wing

Knight Wing Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do not like or support save files for this game. That would make it easy for people to to remove or make a copy of the save file and be a way to exploit the high scores when they are implemented. This is a retro game to a time when saves didn't exist. I remember spending hours straight playing games like ghost and ghouls. Suggestion about the crash is before you leave the computer or do that now, is go through windows and turn off sleep mode and just leave the monitor shut off on.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

The notion of a save or even a load would destroy the whole point of the game being a roguelike, it's fine, you aren't SUPPOSED to get a save, one life, and one like ONLY, no hand holding. The Binding of Isaac has no saves and works just fine.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I feel like neither of you read anything that TC said. TC said quick save, not save state. Are you unaware of how quick saves work? They only save when you quit, and are immediately deleted when you load them. It's like pausing, but also closing the game.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

No, I read the TC, it seems the TC does not understand what a roguelike game is about, there ARE NO SAVES in games like this, you play until you die or quit then start over, a save, no matter what kind it is isn't in the spirit of roguelikes.

• Treadlight

In that case, they should remove the pause button, randomize stage order, not let you choose which class to play, randomize how many players will play, randomize the controls, and remove the Item and Monster logs.
                The term 'roguelike' doesn't enforce restrictions upon the game, it is used to describe what kind of game it is. FTL is a roguelike, and it can quick save. Dungeons of Dredmor is a roguelike, and it has a complete save system.

• AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

You don't usually see a system like this in a rougelike. I could go either way.

• okok111

There's actually a fair bit of controversy about this, wherever you go. There's the people who think that there should be no saving, as it removes some of the tension. There are some people who believe that there should be a quick save or depending on how the game works a save that's deleted when the person in the save does, and then again there are some people who believe there should be no saves at all. Examples:

No saves:
                    -Spelunky
                    -Binding of Isaac

Quick save / Death delete save:
                    -100 rogues (really nifty iOS roguelike)
                    -FTL
                    -Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (not sure if save was in original dungeon crawl)
                    -Nethack

Full save
                    -Dungeons of Dredmor
                    -Elona

Adding this list to the OP, along with any other roguelikes in either category that are mentioned.

• Treadlight

If you're going to allow iOS games onto the list, could you put Sword of Fargoal onto the Full Save list so that each one has two examples?
                      Also, it's 'Dredmor', not "Dredmore".

• okok111

Oh, ok. Silly me :rofl: I'm adding any games in any of those categories that are mentioned in this topic into the list.
                        Oh, and binding of Isaac games don't go for 3+ hours very often, vahn. (From what I know, at least. Correct me if I'm wrong)

• Zadmeir

Zadmeir Star Wrangler

Kinda ridiculous to say that save files aren't "in the spirit of roguelikes" when they've been around at least since Nethack (1987). Nethack has the quick save/death delete save function.

I'm not sure if most people would consider Elona a roguelike, but it has full saves.

:love: Dungeons of Dredmor

• Megadog

Megadog Astral Cartographer

I got the same impression. When I saw the title I mused to myself, "Inb4 torrent of saves aren't roguelike!!!"
                            To be honest I was going to join in until I actually read it. I took a liking to the idea, simply because I can't play normal any more - having to dedicate 2+ hours to a single session without being able to turn off your power is rough.
                            The save state thing that deletes when you load it sounds good - except people could just make backups of their entire RoR folder, to replay the same save over and over again :S
                            **A possible solution would be to have a hidden code associated with the save, and have it also saved somewhere in your registry - before loading it checks to see if they're the same. When you load, it changes the code in the registry such that you can't load the same save more than once, despite having backup of all the files**

I'm divided on this issue :\ I like it but there's issues that need resolving.

• okok111

People will savescum, I suppose, BUT this is a bit of a frustrating game to do it with (the point of a quick save is you can only save upon leaving the game, so the most you can do with savescum is try to avoid permadeath by going BACKWARDS in the game as it only saves upon exit to the title screen and saving before death screws you as you can't escape from your death by saving before death as it'll happen anyway which doesn't make it a nice prospect.) Also, you'll have people using programs to save all of the details of a game while its running, then loading this save state it over and over until they get what they want regardless of what we do. (A little muck around in cheat engine could do as much) I don't see the point of not having a feature because some people might abuse it.

• Megadog

Megadog Astral Cartographer

I think the idea would be to finish stage 1 with goodish items, then save/quit/backup. Start level 2, if you finish it with reasonable items, save/quit/backup - if you die - rebackup the backup, and start from the beginning of stage 2 again. Using this technique you'd be able to progress through the game indefinitely.

• okok111

I suppose so, BUT there's also a line where you say "Hey, why are we not using this feature? Because a couple of people might abuse it???? How does that work?". At this line, you have two options. 1: Exclude the feature and have the side of the community that wouldn't abuse it annoyed because of the way some members of the community might use it, or 2: Keep the feature and let the people who abuse it screw their own gameplay experience.
                                  I'm not saying here that the devs are code slaves and should do everything that the community suggests, but I am saying that there's not really not much point in excluding a feature because someone or some small group of the community might find a way to abuse it.

• MisterS42

MisterS42 Void-Bound Voyager

• okok111

• bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

Yes, yes, and YYEEEEESSS!
                                    yes, i think it needs this. i can never get past more than a few levels each time because i have to shut my laptop all the time .:barefeet:

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have no problem leaving my laptop running for as long as I desire. Personally I don't need a save feature.