1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Random Generated Levels Later?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zezarict, May 9, 2013.

1. Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

Something that (to my knowledge at least) hasn't been explicitly stated. In the demo, there's defined levels, but it says in your kickstarter that a goal is

"Design a game that is randomly generated every play-through, to keep replayability high and fresh."

Do you mean randomly generated as in where chests and statues and such are, or to be completely random later?

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think that level order and place of statues and chests are random, but levels have fixed maps.

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

I'm talking about in the future. I know another game with fixed maps right now but plans to have random generation later, that game is in a very early state, I'm wondering if much later, if this is something the devs are aiming for.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Secondary aspects of levels as some caves or planks to jump changes even in demo and I think they'll make this more vastly in beta. But we shouldn't expect full random generation of levels.

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

It's not that I'm expecting, just wondering haha

• thedukey

thedukey Void-Bound Voyager

I dont think randomly generated levels will be that hard to implement, and would be a welcomed feature!

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

They would be quite interesting, seeing as this is only a slight demo that we have now I think it'd be very feasible as well.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

I dunno, some of my maps have seemed PREEETTY random.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Game Maker doesn't think so. But in Spelunky which also been created in GM this feature was implemented by randomly combining pieces of levels.

• CommodoreFrank

CommodoreFrank Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure what you're going at. The levels are already created through procedural generation. You'll always see the same pieces of levels, but they'll always be put together in a different layout. If you expect it to be truly random, prepare to be disappointed. That's basically an impossibility at this point.