Randomized creatures

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Nerfed, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Nerfed

Nerfed Void-Bound Voyager

After taking some time to think up a proper suggestion, I found that none of my ideas would be special in particular. For all of my individual possible suggestions, I could imagine the suggested creature eventually becoming boring or annoying. Hence, I combined them all, dropped the idea of an actual creature suggestion, and ended up with this suggestion.

Basically, every new planet the player reaches, selects a random amount of creatures. These creatures are then broken down in a couple of sections.
    - head
    - body
    - limbs
    - wings
    - tail
    - weapons
    - attacks
    - creature type*

After that, a couple of creatures are 'assembled', by combining the sections. This means there will be multiple different results, and thus, multiple unique creatures roaming the planet. To stop this from getting old, the amount of randomized creatures inhabiting a planet could be limited, using a couple of factors.
    - Planet size determines how many creatures are selected as samples for the randomization.
    - planet setting (weather, environment) determines what type of creatures are selected. You won't find penguins or sea creatures on hot desert planet, nor will you find space hobos on an arctic planet (boxes are an all-round cozy and practical housing type, but they just don't shelter you from cold properly). You also won't find a swimming or amphibious type in a desert, or a grounded type on a planet overrun with water.

*creature type means flying, grounded, swimming, etc.
    Penguins would be an amphibious type. Birds actually capable of flight (sorry penguins!) are flying type (flying/grounded if they can land as well), etc.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion, I hope you like and possibly consider it.

2. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

But sand penguins sound awsome!
    And i think this is what was going to happen anyway The sections getting random colours among other things.

3. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Think of the combinations...
    And imagine if you could create them yourself.

It would be quite fun to fight a robotic flying one-eyed four-armed monkey with knives for hands and one foot.

4. Nerfed

Nerfed Void-Bound Voyager

That would be a great addition as well. If I'm correct, a starbound trailer claimed you can capture (or research) monsters.

A lot of people suggest pets.

Combine those; create your own pet!