WIP [SMAPI] Conveyor Belts

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Travoos, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Travoos

Travoos Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

Some idiot gave me an idea to do some stupid thing so I sat there for 6 hours working on it. I'm stopping for today, but I decided I'd go ahead and show the progress I've made on this mod:

I will continue working on it for the next few days and possibly get it released soon. Though, I'll probably want to remake it at some point, the code is really messy and lots of it is pointless. I don't want to release a download for it, but I went ahead and quickly put up the source on github for people who wanna check out this crazy messy pointless code:

https://github.com/Club559/FactoryMod

• Joaje

Joaje Aquatic Astronaut

im still that idiot

Alina_Mau likes this.
      • kodfod

kodfod Void-Bound Voyager

Looks promising! The belt reminds me of the factorio ones.

• Travoos

I was actually considering those insertion arm things from factorio. Too difficult for me right now however.

kodfod likes this.
          • kodfod

kodfod Void-Bound Voyager

If you need any help (coding wise, I'm terrible at art/animations) just shoot me a pm! Might even try to fiddle with it once off work. The hardest thing (for me at least) would be using animated sprites on the transfer process. BUT I LOVE THE IDEA!

• ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

• skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

very nice

• Crafes

Crafes Seal Broken

How the hell did you manage this?? Really impressed at what the modding community is offering at this stage.

Any plans for sorting conveyors, where only certain items change conveyors and the others just keep going? Just an idea, but still great work on the mod so far.

• zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's pretty badass. Reminds me of my Minecraft days and hoppers automating most of my contraptions.

I imagine the coding would get massive to control an output of how much a chest were to shoot out items, linked to a belt, to load up a furnace, and said furnace shoots out finished bar to another.

> = conveyor belt

Chest > > > > Furnace > > > > Chest

Awesome work, that's impressive.

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

Hell yeah I like it..would use it too

• Bunkmaster

Bunkmaster Space Spelunker

Awesome! I can imagine some crazy looking automated farms with this.

• Sarahfiren

Sarahfiren Phantasmal Quasar

harvest crops and send them up on belts to the correct chest !! omg i love this !!

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Super dopeeee. Do you think you can release alrenative colored converybelts?

• Travoos

That could be a feature I could add once the mod is done.

taintedwheat likes this.
                            • Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

Wow, this is such a neat idea :D
                              Awesome work so far

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

This is really, really neat!

• ssgb99

ssgb99 Intergalactic Tourist

place in Mods folder right??

• Stone7C1

Stone7C1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

amazing. ive been waiting for something like this. there needs to be a way for at least certain automation imo.

if these things can pull out of chests, we will be able to make small factory setups.

ive especially been having trouble processing all my ores. imagine a chest full wood feeding into a charcoal kiln and then that with another conveyor for ores into a furnace.

together with the mod that adds a basement to our house we will even have a place for these setups.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
                                    • Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

give this mod a lookie see its everything your asking for http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/beta-farmautomation-mods-for-smapi-0-39-6.111931/

• Stone7C1

Stone7C1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

well, i gave it a look, and as far as i understand, this causes machines to auto output. while this is ok for adjacent chests imo, i think this also makes things a bit too easy. especially since they can output and input over long distances using pathes as connectors. i honestly like the idea of conveyor belts and machines that pull out of chests and insert more, since youre more involved in building up automation, instead of the game just doing it for you.

if you put an appropriate resource cost on the belts, it also allows to pace automation towards later on in the game around when you first get gold, hardwood, iridium and similar resources that arent available at the very beginning.

i do think there should be a way to auto collect eggs from the coop. but it would probably make more sense as yet another coop upgrade. something similar could exist for collecting truffles, shearing sheep and milk machines to milk cows.

but again, i feel like this should be something that has to be built up.

i could imagine transporting cows and sheep to milk and shear machines with conveyor belts when they leave the barn in the morning for example, before they get released to an area overgrown with grass.

since on sunny days they usually leave the barn in the morning through the same door, this would be a good starting point for automation.

in the winter youd have to do it yourself, but there is less to do during that season anyways.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016