1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starbound Mod Manager - Archive Thread

Discussion in 'Other' started by KrazyTheFox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. KrazyTheFox

KrazyTheFox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I'll take a look at it tomorrow afternoon.

2. dangerpeanut

dangerpeanut Astral Cartographer

I've seen this before. TSTech has a similar problem. Works fine when it's right in the assets folder, but when it's outside of assets, it crashes when any objects are used.

A similarity between your mod and TSTech is that neither adhere to the structure that starbound uses as assets. You have your own asset structure. I assume that starbound is panicking when it looks for recipes in the "recipes" folder, but finds none.

Try manually installing your mod outside of assets. Setup a folder for it in starbound/mods, change the bootstracp.config to use the folder, and test it. Does it crash? I bet it will.

I have a copy of the starbound asset dirtree in my work area that I copy for new mods. Then I put my stuff in the right places, scrape out any empty folders, and pack it up.

Works so far.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. KrazyTheFox

I'm not home yet to test this, but it appears that this is a problem with the game and not the mod or mod manager, as described above. Your best bet would probably be to get in contact with the dev team and see if they can fix the bug.

4. PXLForce

PXLForce Big Damn Hero

Going to be making both of my mods use this in there latest release. Thanks for making the manager! :)

5. KrazyTheFox

And thanks for using it!

PXLForce likes this.
  6. PXLForce

PXLForce Big Damn Hero

Does player.config merging work 100%? And are there any issues I should know of? :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  7. KrazyTheFox

Every valid json file (which accounts for nearly every conflict) will be merged by the manager, but there are a couple catches to keep in mind:

1. The mod must be up to date with the game files. Unfortunately, given the early beta state of the game, this will probably be the hardest to keep up with. If your mod modifies the player.config file, it must be based on the latest player.config. If a file gets changed in game, the merging algorithm will fail, as it compares the modded file to the game's original file.

2. If two mods modify the same data (for example, they both modify a torch's flicker distance), then the merging algorithm will add both changes to the patched file, resulting in invalid data. As an example:
    Original file's flicker: '"flicker distance" : "0.1",'
    Mod 1's flicker: '"flicker distance" : "0.7",'
    Mod 2's flicker: '"flicker distance" : "0.01",'
    Patched flicker: '"flicker distance" : "0.701",'

This won't be a common occurrence, as the likelihood that two different mods (as in, they don't try to achieve the same goal) will modify the same data within the same files is fairly low. Things like line additions in the player.config work perfectly fine, as long as point 1 is taken into consideration.

If the above example had one mod changing the torch's color and the
    other changing the flicker distance, the merge would be successful.

The best way to check to see if a mod won't merge correctly is to try it. If it crashes your game on startup or particular changes don't appear to have any effect, there's most likely a prevailing conflict (assuming other error sources have been eliminated, such as syntax errors in the mods). It's up to your discretion at that point as to whether or not you want to continue using the conflicting mods together, depending on the severity of the conflict. (I might, for example, decide to continue using the torch flicker mod with a color/flicker mod, even though the torch flicker will be slightly different than both mods' intentions.)

For your average mod, especially ones that add recipes to the player.config file, there will be no issues.

PXLForce likes this.
  8. PXLForce

PXLForce Big Damn Hero

Awesome! Thanks very much! :)

9. renbear

renbear Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, man, that is a crying shame. I was looking forward to using this. I'll look into installing the Oracle JRE. I saw the "OpenFX" project (or whatever it was called), but it looked like completion was a year or more away. (I swear, it seems like the open software movement has lost a lot of steam lately.)

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your work on this project!

10. KrazyTheFox

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I learned this. I'm all for open source Java, but it really needs to get caught up. JavaFX is getting an update in Java 8 and they're probably gonna be pretty far behind on that, too.

renbear likes this.
  11. alonerhapsody

alonerhapsody Subatomic Cosmonaut

12. WolfJHavoc

WolfJHavoc Starship Captain

Hi, I just downloaded this mod, and it's great! I wanted to ask though, it seems I can't add a certain mod. It's a .7z file, as opposed to being a .zip. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

Oh! Nevermind I figured it out. Could just rezip as .zip file.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  13. FEPeanut

FEPeanut Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, I know this is old business after looking through the forum, but it is still happening and I can't fix it.

Am I sending it on the wrong file-path? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    File-path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound

Attached Files:

14. collystiger

collystiger Void-Bound Voyager

I won't work for me for some reason. Java won't let me and it is updated the most.

15. KrazyTheFox

What exactly doesn't work? Does it not start up? Does it not let you add mods? I need a little bit more information to help you.