1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Starstructor, the Starbound toolset 0.7.5145.12730

Starstructor is a graphical .dungeon and .structure (ship) editor

1. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

Hello!

I have recently having a problem with Starstructor...
    I has been working fine until a few days ago, where opening it would instantly show a prompt telling me that starstructor isn't working...
    [​IMG]

The log only contains...

Code:
    [14:28:51 579] Asset loading thread started

Attempting to re-install gives the same result.

2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I'm not sure that this is right, but Starstructor isn't the problem. It's the location/contents/file type of your assets that is rendering Starstructor unresponsive.

EDIT: Are you opted into Nightly builds, unstable, or stable?
    EDIT2: Try unpacking your assets again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  3. DoomFire

I'm not opted into the Nightly builds.

Also, deleting and unpacking my assets again doesn't resolve the problem apparently.

4. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Where are the assets located?

5. DoomFire

In the Starbound folder, in a folder called packedpak

But I resolved the issue! I systematically removed different things from my mod folder and tested it.
    It turns out one specific object from a mod I am working on caused it. I have no idea why but I am looking into it.

6. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

7. lightofthefuture

lightofthefuture Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is this mod going to be updated again? Is Starstructor it in its final version already? Did the author take a hiatus? Is he waiting for an upcoming release of Starbound?

8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I'm not sure. I do see Kel online all the time, though.

9. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Every now and then I do a little bit of work on the C++ port, but due to university and work obligations I just don't have the spare time available to work on this project that I once did.

10. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

ummm, you double post...

11. Kaiju_Riot

Kaiju_Riot Space Spelunker

In response to the review, just an FYI, I did search the forums and googled pak files before reviewing. In fact I had used specifically the same forum post to attempt installing the mod which you linked before I reviewed. So just in response, I did thoroughly attempt to research how to use the mod.

Don't make an assumption I just tried and quit immediately, I spent a couple hours in fact trying to figure it out.

Edit: I'm sorry, but I tried, I used the tutorial, but that doesn't mean I know what a pak file is. I tried unpacking it like it said, but for whatever reason, it appeared to already be unpacked. The file was already there but after that, it pretty much fell apart because it wasn't possible to follow the instructions because the files weren't appearing in the mod, but were in the file explorer window. Command console actions included, I searched and used the videos, but nothing worked.

I tried again tonight but I had the same issue.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  12. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Awesome idea for this mod!

13. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

OK. Start fresh. You have unpacked your assets?

14. Kaiju_Riot

Kaiju_Riot Space Spelunker

Yes, I think they've been unpacked from the beginning because my Starbound assets folder has never been as empty like the youtube instruction video, even before I did the unpacking command... it's always had all the different folders with things like animations, biomes, dungeons, etc. Even before I did the tutorial instructions, so I'm really not sure what's the deal...

I even just cross-checked the file names on the video after Rhino has done the unpacking command. I've always had these same files available, I think they've always been unpacked... Because when I did the asset load thing, I could always get the furniture icons to load, but could never get any ship files to show up to open to actually start working on

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  15. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

How did you try to open the ship file?

16. Ammeg88

Ammeg88 Tentacle Wrangler

Ok this is going to sound stupid, but really I have no idea... I have read through the page for this mod and still have no idea... Where the hell do I download this? As the page the apparent download is on doesn't have any working downloads.
    The webpage is the github page and the Starstructor page

The three downloads are these:

starstructor-cpp - doesn't have an .exe file so isn't able to open and work.
    starstructor - Also no .exe file so can't be opened.
    starstructor.github.io - again no .exe folder.

EDIT:
    Found the correct place to download it, the pages attached to this mod REALLY need updating. As one doesn't have a download link thing at the top and the other does. I had to google search "download" which I shouldn't have to do if I know what mod I want to use.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  17. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

soybeans.png

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You seem to have found a way to download the tool, but it seems you have a different way of doing so. Clicking "Download Now (Via external website)" immediately starts a download of the latest starstructor rar file. You may want to look into why it is not that way for you, though I am using Google Chrome.

19. Ammeg88

Ammeg88 Tentacle Wrangler

Yea, I found the correct place to download it, the pages attached to this mod REALLY need updating. As one doesn't have a download link thing at the top and the other does, the one that doesn't is the main page that I came to when looking for this addon. So then went to the webpage which also failed totally.
    Eventually ended up searching google for the download by just typing "download" after the mod name. Long winded way of doing it when there are a few pages for this mod. Perhaps the one that doesn't have a download now button should be removed?

20. Dr. Higeki

Dr. Higeki Void-Bound Voyager

Amazing work, I'm excited to see where this mod goes. Keep up the great work