Still Have Mod Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by _PandorasBox_, Dec 21, 2016.

1. _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

I figured it'd be better to post it here? My other one is likely buried, and I don't want to necro post it.

But, on my other thread, I never got answers to my questions about mods. All I got were mod pages shoved in my face.
    I'm not getting mods unless my questions are answered, because I don't want to screw anything up.

Do you still get achievements when you use mods?
    Does it affect other files, and if so, do I just need to remove the mods before I play my other files?
    For ones like the Medieval buildings skins, do I need to build everything I want first, then add it? Since I noticed some people had issues with it not registering as upgraded and not giving the right Animals.
    Is it best to start a new save file with them, or is it fine using an already made one?

I'd really like some answers, please. Not just mod pages shoved at me.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Do you still get achievements when you use mods?
      You should. At least, none of the mods I've been using have messed with my achievements. I use Timespeed and the rest are all cosmetic.

Does it affect other files, and if so, do I just need to remove the mods before I play my other files?
      If you're only installing retextures, it will just make the buildings etc. look different in your other files, same as your current one. The game pulls everything from the same folders no matter which save you're playing on so what works on one, works on them all. The only time you might have a problem is if a new mod isn't compatible with something you had on your old save (for example, I used to use a mod that added a second farm to my game, but after 1.1 came out that mod was not compatible with the update because of SMAPI and I couldnt play on my old save anymore.)

For ones like the Medieval buildings skins, do I need to build everything I want first, then add it? Since I noticed some people had issues with it not registering as upgraded and not giving the right Animals.
      It should be ready to go before you build anything. If people were having problems they might have installed the mods incorrectly or had something else messing with their game. A retexture is only going to affect how that building or whatever looks.

Is it best to start a new save file with them, or is it fine using an already made one?
      Kind of the same answer as your first question - as long as you weren't using a mod that was incompatible and did something to the game that won't work with your current mod, you should be fine.

This is kind of vague without knowing which mods you're using or planning to use. Like I said, I've only used Timespeed, a farm extention mod (which no longer works) and retextures of things like buildings and animals etc. So I can only give advice on those.

• eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

They are safe to use, you can install them whenever. You don't need to build a building first or start a new file.

The issues regarding animals or not registering the upgrade are not related to that mod.

Can you point me to where you read those issues? :)

• _PandorasBox_

Alright, thank you for answering!
          I mostly plan on perhaps using a mod that extends the farm, the second farm one, though hopefully it'll work with hilltop, because I'm loving that map thanks to all the platforms, Medieval building skins, and possibly ones to do with time, spouse rooms, maybe the recently uploaded one about the dresser where you can easily change your character appearance from your house, maybe something with changing the portaits, and anything I can find about Horse / pet skin changing, and things to affect your spouse. Kind of a lot, but it's mostly just skin things ( I love Medieval things, and some of the Horse skins that I've seen through Google or videos )

I don't remember, really.. I think the thread was buried though, it was probably around when I first joined that I saw it. But it was for.. Emmie's? I think that's the username? Medieval buildings, and when they upgraded to the Deluxe, forgot which one, it didn't register that they had done so, and didn't let them get the unlocked Animals.

• eemie

Alright it's fine. I'm the modder so if people are reporting issues about my mods I kinda need to see if they really are caused by my work. But from what you're telling me I can't imagine it's the fault of my buildings.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

It was actually I who had that issue eemie. I finally tracked it down to a problem caused by rolling back my save, which is why you didn't hear of it.

• eemie

Okay thank you for telling me, glad you could fix the problem :D

• LuthienNightwolf

Oh okay, yeah some of those are SMAPI mods I think and I'm a little bit skeptical of doing too much with those. I use Timespeed because I absolutely cannot play without it, so I can give you any info you want on that, but I don't use/haven't tried the others. I know the farm expansion one I used to use didn't get updated for 1.1 so it's not really an option now, and I haven't tried any others.

The rest are just xnb swaps, they shouldn't affect anything in your save other than how stuff looks. If you want any help looking up good pet/horse/livestock mods I can help you with that, I've got quite a few.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                  • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

If you're going to be using animals and mods I highly recommend the Happy Animals mod. It counters a number of animal bugs currently in the game.

• _PandorasBox_

It'd be appreciated, yeah. I've never modded any other game except Minecraft before, and even that it took me years to figure out ( Mostly because I had no help at all, it was just me and my cousin going in blind, trying to figure it out with vague instructions ) , so it'd be great to have help picking ones that won't screw anything up of mine

What's the link to it? I might not be using the SMAPI mods for a while, since they're apparently more complicated to do, if that's one, but it'd be great to have some of those issues fixed without waiting for an update that may or may not fix it

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

• LuthienNightwolf

I'll start you off with a good horse mod. This is the one I use, the mod creator made lots of different varieties to pick from and what I do is just save all the ones I like and swap them out each time I start a new save so my horse can always look different. :)
                        http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/zhurias-horse-edits-recolours.108022/
                        There are also reskins for some of the other animals as well, you can browse through those too if you want.

If you want any others send me a message, I don't want to drag this thread out too much off topic. >u>

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Timespeed saved me from premature balding and stomach ulcers

Its a lifesaver xD

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                          • LuthienNightwolf

I was legit willing to not get the 1.1 update because I was afraid Timespeed wouldn't work anymore. That's how important it is to me. lol

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                            • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I like Timespeed too. I just have it set to half speed inside buildings but even that little bit makes managing 6 barns and a coop so much easier.