1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Story + Missions

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Prince Popper, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Prince Popper

Prince Popper Subatomic Cosmonaut

(possible spoilers ahead)
    on the day 1.0 came out, i played for 16 hours straight and beat it. i wouldn't be surprised if that managed to kinda ruin it for me, but has anyone else found the story extremely generic and boring? the dialogue from esther and the person at the end when the planet explodes seems to be gibberish and has no meaning, and the ending had absolutely no payoff whatsoever, and you're told to just go explore the universe. i don't have a problem with the boss fight though, it was a very creative fight.
    onto the next point, am i the only one that found that every single mission was repetitive and extremely boring? maybe it was because of my luck, but the 5 (or 6, i forgot because theres nothing memorable about it) clue missions seemed just like filler for the almost nonexistent story. then theres the villager's quests, which have the same problem: they're all the exact same thing, repetitive, and boring. theres no other reason to do it other than the fact that you get a reward bag out of it. the destination seems worth it, but the journey there is garbage. i probably hated the clue mission because i had horrible luck with finding the areas and i went from planet to planet for a very long time, which is why i'm wondering if anyone else thought of this
    p.s: i don't hate the game nor the update, it was extremely fun almost all the way through (which is exactly why i played it for 16 hours straight), but it was just these things that i found to kind of ruin the experience.

frozenvision and ladyKAE like this.
  2. Efrim

Efrim Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the story is the weakest part of the game and wish I could skip it. I've played nearly 35 hours since 1.0 release and I only just did the floran one. So I agree with you. For me and my playing group the sand box is the alpha and the omega.

ladyKAE likes this.
  3. SnowflakeMask

SnowflakeMask Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly, opposite for me here. I found it hard to play Terraria after a while due to there not really being any sort of in game goal or progression besides getting more stuff. And it was boring how you had to craft items to summon bosses which didn't even have their own arenas or anything, so you fought them where ever you wanted(mostly big block walkway in the sky). So an actual ingame story is nice boon for me since it motivates me to playthrough the game and its nice that bosses have their own place. Its not particularly super compelling or original story, the folks you "recruit" don't even have much to say afterwards on outpost, but its nice that its there.

That being said, it DOES feel out of the place in this game, especially with how game turns off matter tranfer thingy while in the missions. Story missions have kinda tacked on feeling to them due to being rather removed from how the rest of the game works. Plus the game's nature doesn't really allow for character interaction, development and other sort of roleplaying stuff of that nature. I'd be actually be okay if they ever did Starbound spinoff metroidvania/other-similar-genre game without sandbox crafting thing and more story stuff.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes the story is really boring, well some boss and levels are great, but the entire scanning thing was interesting the first time, got just annoying the 3rd time.

With the universe SB offfrs, they could have really made a lot more creative story than this.

I just slapped flags on all planets naming the races there to make the finding easier when Esther decides to go for race X

But a good thing is, ship progression and stuff isn't tied to these missions.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  5. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the music in the final mission (and the one when you fight the boss). This is the real reward imo. Makes all the scanning worth.

But yeah, I don't think rushing through the story missions is the most enjoyable way to do it. I think it's better to have it as a background thing while you do your own stuff, exploring and building stuff.

Tyonisius likes this.