1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Support Character Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bluerooste42, May 10, 2013.

1. Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Support: (Has some sort of LMG)
    Mower (0s CD)- Fires 5 shots of 20% damage (total 100%)

Turret Mode (5s CD) - Immobilizes you for 3 seconds, but increases your damage by 50% (additive, not multiplicative ; you can still switch directions while immobilized)

HP Kit (5s CD)- Heals 5% HP, can be picked up by other players in co-op

Flash Grenade (7s CD) - Toss a flash grenade in an arc (like the Bandit's X) to damage enemies for 20% and stun for 3 seconds

Would be (as the name says) delegated to a support role in co-op, not very viable for SP.
    Most of the skills have high cool-downs, and do little to no damage.

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bluerooste42: You may want to rethink some of the values for that character, including cooldown. It would be incredibly weak as it is. It may be meant for support role but it really needs to be viable single player as well. And even as a support it should be useful in damaging enemies or no one will ever pick it.

Also you didn't put down any of the base stats, health regen, speed, and jump. (I believe there are more but until we know, those are what we have to change around. )

Dave Combine likes this.
      • Bluerooste42

Yeah I pretty much had no clue. My point of making it would attempt to be barely viable to SP unless used by a skill player, and extremely helpful in MP.

• Nixeras

I tried to make it as applicable as possible without being to strong or to weak, but I really feel like "Turret Mode" and "HP Kit" wouldn't fit very well. Turret mode because even with a fairly decent boost, staying in one place is often suicide. HP Kit because well...a heal that you can use every few seconds is really quite powerful. That's why I changed it to a regeneration boost, but even that feels like it might be too powerful for an ability. Who knows, maybe I'm mistaken. Either way there's my take on it, feel free to edit it if you want or just leave your post how it is. I just thought maybe you might like a hand.

• Bluerooste42

Well, I put the CD for the HP Kit as 5 seconds as 5% every 5 seconds would be a 120 second time for a full recovery, but then again, maybe it would need a CD nerf to 10s or perhaps the regen would be nerfed to 2.5%.
            The regen should be implemented. Perhaps still as a med-kit so other players can pick it up, but it would regenerate the HP slowly and maybe cancel when hit.
            And of course, the Turret Mode basically is suicide, unless you have other players backing you up so you don't get hit, hence the co-op focus.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

But a Support character needing Support to utilise its Supportiness? That sounds a bit askew, don't you think? Maybe you could have the Turret Mode also employ a massive knockback, so it at least takes a second for the enemies to get back to you. Han-D immobilises himself for a second too, but the reward is great damage. The attack scheme works well if done rightly.

• Bluerooste42

That's the point (not trying to sound douchey here, that was the only way I could phrase it). Support characters in other games can't go to their full potential alone, can they? They need a stronger/higher DPS character to support the support. By supporting the support, your overall team will benefit more than if you had 2 DPS classes (if the Support class' abilities are balanced correctly).

• Nixeras

Well I just mean that instead of a turret mode, perhaps another type of support skill or a more directly damaging ability to balance out the kit. Right now it's sort of flippy floppy between being an offensive skill and a support skill.

I totally get focusing on support and everything but you have to keep in mind that we don't even know if online or LAN multiplayer will actually happen yet (Although they really want it to) so we want to keep the idea viable for single player for those people that don't have people to play it with right beside them.

Anyways I was just trying to help with your idea. Perhaps it was rude of me though so I'll just go back to dreaming up my own ideas.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I moved this because it was taking up a lot of space.

• Bluerooste42

/offtopic
                      No, it's fine. No offense taken.