1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Teleporters Activate Automatically After a Time

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Treadlight, May 17, 2013.

1. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I feel like this would fix a very large number of issues with balance and such, to make the level's teleporter activate automatically if you take too long (e.g. 8 minutes on normal, 6 minutes on hardcore.), and making it so that you can't spend any money after the teleporter timer runs out.

EDITED

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Probably would make a good game mutator, but I think doddling around on a level too long is its own punishment with the increased item prices on the next due to difficulty. I don't think forcing slower players to lose out on items is particularly endearing.

• Treadlight

Actually, the point of it is to prevent people from going around and getting every single item in the stage. I've found that the game is much easier if you take your time and get every item.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Some people actually need that buffer to succeed. Are you saying that because some players are a lot better at the game, people who aren't deserve to be crippled by the system?

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

Yeah that is a vicious no from me too. Taking too much time to find the teleporter in early stages of hardcore actually punishes you. Then there is also the underlying idea of "spend more time and let game get harder" vs "rush ahead to avoid difficulties at certain points but miss power ups along the way". I am with Daimera on maybe as a mutator. Also especially no to not spending money after teleporter is activated - basic strategy I and numerous other players use (i.e. joey4track). Finding and activating the teleporter at just the right time to be able to get as many upgrades as possible with the clock is ticking is essential.

The game devs will be adding more bosses, affixes, creature types and various ways to raise the difficulty. The game is in beta now and while that does mean we as players can help by giving suggestions based on our gameplay experiences the game is also incomplete. Not only that but we are on ver 0.30.1.3. We still have a ways to go before completion and who knows what other methods the devs have in mind to make the game challenging?

Treadlight likes this.
            • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I think forcing players to go to the next level is a bad idea; sometimes I like spending an entire run on one stage, because I like the stage enough for it, or like the idea of seeing harder and harder varieties of the same enemies, as opposed to harder enemies by themselves. The other day I had a 50 minute run in the Forest level and it was really entertaining.

I wouldn't limit players' own gaming style too much if you can help it.

Treadlight likes this.
              • Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

The teleporter is the BEST way to get money to open chests, though.
                What else would you do with the ridiculous amount of money you can end up with? The exchange rate to XP is kind of bad...

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

The idea isn't too bad, but I don't like the idea of not being able to buy things after the timer has ran out, as I get most of my gold through the fight for the portal to activate, plus with no mobs spawning after then you are limited to how much you can buy anyways (Unless you have lifesaving, but you'll be hanging around for far too long and will only end up shooting yourself in the foot)

• Treadlight

I sort of agree with you, and have thought of this already. I edited the OP to amend this.
                    People have already said that this would be better as a game mutator, instead of part of the main game. They have also already requested the exchange rate to Exp be improved.