Modding Help Texture overlay and in-game GUI

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by FPSUsername, Aug 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FPSUsername

FPSUsername Phantasmal Quasar

Hello,

I am maintaining a ship texture mod and I want to expand it without having to make a ton of textures in other colors.
    The mod (Black Novakid Ship) is the main mod. I made it compatible with the dynamic fuel hatch mod by using priorities.

I deleted the whole ship apart from the shiplights which I want to modify with other colors. The problem here is that I can't overlay the lights on top of the existing mod using priorities because it replaces the original texture.

So in this part, the question is, how can you make a graphics overlay mod like this below?
    novakidshipdoor.png

Secondly, I'm interested in making a GUI where you can change the color of the overlay. Using a slider, I want to be able to change the HUE of the png files in the overlay mod (This way, I won't have to manually change the HUE of every png file and upload it as a seperate add-on).
    I have no idea where to start with the GUI part, the priority is on the overlay at this moment.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Im guessing the green part is intended to glow in the dark?

You can see an example oh how to do that by looking at many of the "outpost" themed objects. They use a "fullbright" image and overlay it with a regular one with cutouts for where the "glow" is supposed to be seen.

3. FPSUsername

Not like a glow in the dark, but yes, it is a glowing part. It should be an overlay, so that people can select the color of their preference.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That isn't possible. You would need to make several options and do like a Lua script of some sort to change out sprites.

5. FPSUsername

Kind of a shame though. So I'd be forced to have the ship textures as well and for example, make it with 10 shiplight colors. Then using a gui a person could select one of the colors he want.
    The "problem" would be that it will take a lot of storage space and if one ship texture has an issue, I'd have to change that 10x.