Race The Iachesis

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Grim, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

The Iachesi standard:
    "To understand Purpose in Life.
    To acknowledge Change through Growth.
    To know Wisdom by Sense.
    To restrict Power with Control."
    [​IMG]
    One possible depiction of an Iachesi​
    Under Soupah Heavy Construction! Subject to change. etc etc.
    Tctoocold's structured form can be found as my first reply.
    HISTORY:

The Iachesis are a blind, telepathically capable humanoid race from the world known as Soel' Vicias, or simply Soel. In their language, they are known as Tr'ae Vaael (pronounced teh-ray vah-ale.) Vaael is a title bestowed upon a Tr'aeli after their completion of a pilgrimage of the same name. Vaael, by description of the Iachesi, is related to a form of "Enlightenment". Together, Tr'ae Vaael loosely means "Enlightened Iachesi" or "Wise Iachesi."​

Recent discoveries yielded solid evidence for a time that predates the Iachesis' pilgrimage, and more specifically, the point at which Iachesis lost their sight.

Eons ago, ancient Iachesis were apart of a larger galactic society, and a small few of these species, along with the Iachesis, were resolute in safeguarding their part of the universe. These peacekeepers were solely responsible for defeating great empires and megalomaniacal beings that threatened their society of the time.

However, it is detailed that a century-long war between this society and a mysterious faction, chief among them the Weeping Angels, nearly brought the society to it's knees. This conflict would be fought across several systems, and drew closer to the society's homeworlds; Eventually, the original homeworld of the Iachesis was among the first to be lost.

As the war dragged on, the Iachesis, though suffering extreme losses, were among the last few of their once strong society still standing. Facing extinction, the Iachesis alone were able to turn the tide, albiet at a terrible cost: the blinding of their race. Though regarded as heroes, they were tossed into a state of disarray, torn between the reality that was indeed saved, but a reality that they would never see again.​
    Confused and unable to cope with their current state, remaining Iachesis departed from familiar space, drifting among the stars, where eventually a colony was established on their now spiritual homeworld, Soel, finding solace in their new way of life.​
    CULTURE:

Their nickname "Iachesis" was coined by Humans several years after contact was first established between the two species.​
    In human-greek mythology, Lachesis was one of the Three Fates, who was believed to determine Destiny itself. The Tr'ae Vaael earned this nickname by study of their culture; Throughout life, a young Iachesi will seek knowledge and wisdom by way of pilgrimage called The Vaael that spans across the entire planet.​
    Outsiders are not restricted from performing the pilgrimage, and are in fact encouraged, even though the end result will differ slightly from that of an Iachesi.​
    Each point of interest is ordered and named as follows:​
    "To Enter the Gates of Creation, To Cross the Plains of Change, To Reflect in the Oasis of Thought, To Traverse the Peak of Unrest, and attain the Vaael."
    The Gateway - A large, naturally formed rock arch. By appearance, this arch is beautifully marked by eons of weathering, each groove in it's stone smoothed to the point of perfection.​
    It marks the beginning of the pilgrimage, and symbolizes Birth, Existence, and Creation. This meditation gives the pilgrim the understanding of Purpose.
    The Plains - The largest plain on Soel, while at first glance is seemingly but a several hundred thousand mile wide grass-like carpet, the visually stunning aspect comes from the wind currents that seem to carress the plains as it passes over them. During both day and night, as the suns and moons shine their light down to the world, the gloss that gleams across the plains as the breeze gently strokes over each blade, back and forth, is a beauty of no describable words; It was as if the plains themselves were performing an everlasting dance.​
    This location symbolizes Imagination and Free Will, and meditation will grant the pilgrim the understanding of Change.
    The Oasis - Quite possibly the most spiritual place of the four, this location resides at the base of The Peak. As the name implies, it is a small Oasis decorated by T'raeli architecture.​
    This location symbolizes Knowledge, Perserverance, and Respect. Meditation here gives the pilgrim true Wisdom.
    The Peak - Stark in contrast to the previous locations, this location is so dangerous that non-pilgrims are forbidden from traversing it's paths. Elements will combat the pilgrims during their ascension, and is intended to test their Strength and Resolve. By this time, they will have an understanding of Turmoil.
    At the peak of, well, The Peak, they will enter a temple known as Zaaun, or Heart. Here they will meditate further on all the accumulated knowledge. As described by enlightened Iachesi, they must comprehend all that they have learned over the years of their pilgrimage.​
    All pilgrims interpret these lessons differently, and this is a welcome outcome. The important lesson for the pilgrim is to understand first, what Life and it's products (i.e. Beauty, War, etc) means to them, and secondly, determine how to pursue their own Kaafenla or Destiny, to literally possess control of their own fate. These lessons are primary reasoning to the naming of Iachesis.​
    When such epiphanies occur to an Iachesi, a vision of their journey over the years will be revealed to them in clear, lucid vision, for the first time ever - They will be witness to the beauty and horror of their world, as seen through their eyes, so to speak.​
    This heightened understanding will often inspire pilgrims with renewed vigor, and for an Iachesi, sparks a development in their telepathic abilities.
    ABILITIES:
    An individual Iachesi will develop a minor form of telepathy during a young age. One such ability is called Tahul, or Spindle. Tahul is an Iachesis' method of sight, and involves "sensing" an area around one individual Iachesi for a brief moment. Iachesi will be able to innately sense any given life form if in immediate range.
    After Vaael is achieved, telepathic prowess tends to increase significantly over a short period of time. Taheev is the ability to generate hard light constructs with phase-shifted energy related to their growing telepathy. This energy can be manipulated into forms such as shields and temporary surfaces. They are also given the ability to perform a more powerful version of the Spindle that allows sensing through hard surfaces and sense objects or beings that would otherwise not be sensed normally.​
    The Iachesis are considered a low technological race, as many of their ships and weapons are shared technology from the Humans.​
    Telepathic speech is not uncommon among Iachesis. However, when in telepathic commune with a race that is telepathically weak, this requires more work on the Iachesis' end, and can be draining if the connection is held too long.​

PERSONALITY AND TRAITS:

The Iachesis seem to bear an impassive form of liberality, and are even downright charitable to a fault, often exploited by many for their generosity. Their stubbornness and stoicism are the subjects of great tease among the more jolly of races.​
    Having no official religion, they strongly promote independence and self-growth among their populace. While rogue and otherwise "undesirable" Iachesi are not unheard of, most will usually pursue a life that requires a fill of adventure, which is by recent popular opinion, achieved by becoming an Interstellar Explorer, and charting the wonders of space.​
    Contact with extraterrestrials were first established with the Human race, and have since held a strong, lasting alliance. Younger generations have began emulating traits from their century old friends, whose assertiveness towards a change in government is source to much frustration among the older, more traditional generations.​
    APPEARANCE:
    Iachesis share an ancestry with humanity, and as such, have very similar anatomy. The only distinguishable differences are their blank, empty irises. The Iachesis believe they obtained this odd condition, along with their blindness, after years of intuitive use of their telepathy.
    Asymmetry tends to play a role in much of Iachesis' art. This is most prominent in their clothing and body art. In keeping with tradition, both of these designs are unique to each individual Iachesi.​
    v.2​
    - General revamp of the Iachesi species​
    - Added Note​
    v.3​
    - Fixed grammatical errors​
    - Added Iachesis' pilgrimage as an important part of their history​
    - Added Note Note​
    - Added temporary art of the Miraluka for visual representation​
    v.4​
    - Fixed grammatical errors​
    - Seperated culture from history​
    - Added more historical facts​
    - Added temporary art by Shwig for visual representation​
    To do list:​
    - Consider a visual change​
    - Rework history to be less cliche​
    - Draw dat reference sheet​
    Note:
    No, just because they're blind doesn't mean one will be looking at a black screen having to constantly press a button to use Spindle and see stuff. That's just part of the lore.​

If by chance there are any artists interested in drawing the Iachesis in their own way, by all means - go for it.

Know that you have full creative freedom. Iachesis are a humanoid species with blank, empty irises (full white eyes), often found with Scarification as body art, and favor hooded robes as clothes. Asymmetry (the design of being uneven, like one arm might have a sleeve, while the other won't) plays a role in their design and art.

Beyond that, color, complexion, etc are all up to the artist. Scarification is entirely optional, and the designs on the clothing is entirely up to the artist.

Note Note:
    After consoling in a friend to draw up art for the Iachesis since half of the Starbound fans won't look at anything without pretty arts, she pointed out that they are VERY similar to the Miraluka of the Star Wars universe. The Miraluka are a blind, humanoid species who are Force-Sensitive, and are a playable race in TOR. It's pure coincidence I swear - never played TOR or dipped too heavily into Star Wars lore. Once my friend gets her lazy butt in gear, the official art will finally be uploaded.

Primary inspiration for the Iachesis actually came from Assassins Creed; specifically the namesake protagonists. The Assassin Order were devote to the survival of "Free Will" a concept I used in that of the Iachesis' culture. Clothing designs are also mirrored from the Assassins - Hoods look sexy, yes?

Community input and criticism are very welcome.

2. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

Tc's "Short n Sweet" Structured Version:

Name:
    Tr'ae Vaael in native tongue.
    Nicknamed the Iachesis.

Technological Advancement:
    Iachesis are considered a low to modern level technological species. Simple communications and material refining processes were among the few of their only scientific achievements, before being gifted ships of their own by Humans*. This was because of their reliance and wanting of development for their own innate telepathy over the pursuit of science.

Hostility:
    Iachesis will excercise caution with unknown alien life, but will not make any hostile attempts unless provoked. Most communities of Iachesis will generally be hospitable to the wayfaring explorer, and offer any services possible should it be required and within their power to grant. However, hostile Iachesi are not unheard of - these few are often lone Iachesis out in the pursuit of increasing their own personal power, among other nefarious deeds, and will revel in the chance to hone their skills on something more... challenging.

Notable Moments in History (In Order, good and bad):
    - Once apart of an ancient galactic society

- Brought to near extinction when the original Iachesis homeworld is lost to the Corrupted conflict

- The ancient Iachesis release a biochemical toxin on the Weeping Angels, and an unforseen side-affect instills permanent blindness on the Iachesi species

- Departure from the society and settling on their new homeworld, Soel

- Tetradus teaches the way of the Vaael pilgrimage

-Newfound strength in telepathy saves the Iachesis from extinction

-(Extended period of time without any significant change)

-First contact with extra-terrestrials. Alliance is formed with these Humans.* (And consequently, any other species related to them)

-Iachesi are gifted their own space ships by their allies for exploratory purposes.

-Currently, civil unrest on the homeplanet, Soel, between younger generations demanding a different but limited government, and the older generations more accustomed to their form of Geniocracy (government ruled by innovation and wisdom) .

* Doesn't have to be Humans, only preferable IF Humans are considered a "Futuristic" race. If not, can be switched to any other notable "Futuristic" leveled race.

3. LuckyLizard

LuckyLizard Void-Bound Voyager

First off, Wow. Good presentation. The shield is a pretty sweet idea and you could use that to maybe make a quick wall for mob control or a quick platform to prevent a lethal fall or trip into lava. You could go so far as to make a pillar under yourself to give yourself a boost to high location or to avoid an attack, maybe your character can eventually fly unaided though limited. That's just utility though. You could suggest they use their telepathic ability to predict attacks, increasing dodge chance. Something like a knock-back ability maybe trading low damage for more push. Their unique way of seeing could high-light traps before you step on them or as you said seeing through objects to an extent and cloaked enemies. That's all I got for now aside from crazy things like spontaneous light-spikes in front of an enemy charging toward you. :p Oh! Maybe you could temporarily fabricate simple weapons like swords and spears, stuff with little or no moving parts.

4. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

Now with temporary arts! Hopefully I can bother my friend faster to get the official portrait.

EDIT for LuckyLizard: Thanks for the input. Abilities are still being considered, since I don't want to make anything overpowered like so many people like to do, and that's IF the ability to use race-specific powers will be put into the final game.

5. GrayGriffon

GrayGriffon Subatomic Cosmonaut

the problem i would have is there powers, giving them to many useful powers would make it stupid to chose any other race, also they would kind of kill any one trying to be a human. (because there so close in appearance) however despite my complaints, i think the race is very well thought out the lore is amazing =D
    i do have a question however. how would they use ranged weapons? like canons on a star ship, they can only see through that senceing after all.

6. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

If racials are indeed implemented, then I do intend for Iachesis to have their own drawbacks when compared to other races. Since they're very reliant on their telepathy, they aren't the brawniest of the bunch. This can mean things such as, a slower swinging rate on melee weapons, slower rate of fire on semi-automatic weapons, and a bigger, inaccurate spread on fully-automatic weapons, etc. I can come up with others if needed.

That can be reason enough for some players to avoid the Iachesis entirely.

As for your question, their blindness is simply their own lore; Unless told to do so by a Dev, I don't think a canon way of explaining how an Iachesi would go about doing mundane and trivial tasks is in order :p If playing as an Iachesis, the player won't be "blind" and restricted to using the Spindle to see, as I said. the only gains and losses would be the mechanics provided, that being the proposed abilities and drawbacks, not the blindness.

GrayGriffon likes this.
  7. GrayGriffon

thanks for clearing that up for me :)

8. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

Anytime. Feel free to ask anything else.

I do feel the need to note that, the air around this part of the forums suggests that players expect (or at least want) race-specific traits and powers. Though I have yet to see any confirmation of such stuff.

EDIT: I forgot to say, if not the drawbacks on the weaponry, then limitations can be placed on the powers themselves.

Such as the damage-absorbing shield (this is purely example)

A shield can be cast that lasts for 3 seconds and has a recharge of 5 seconds. This shield will absorb x amount of damage. If damage exceeds this amount, then the shield will be broken. While the player will have avoided the full force of that attack, the shield will be placed on a longer cooldown, like say, 8-10 seconds.

In the case of the platform generation, one can place this platform anywhere, but it lasts only for 5 seconds, and has an 8 second recharge. While it can connect to any point, other blocks would not be able to connect to this platform, and blocks like sand would fall right through it. This would prevent the misuse of reaching areas that could not be normally achieved in early-game.

9. YOU COPIED THAT FROM STAR WARS! I READ THE WIKIA ! YOU COPIED IT WORD FOR WORD!

10. Aidoboy

Aidoboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

link please? back up your accusations.

11. oh, um...sorry I noticed some key differences... sorry about that ...but it was the same pic lol

12. Aidoboy

Aidoboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Please read ALL of the main post, first. :p

GrayGriffon and duraga131 like this.
  13. sorry :p

14. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

I have to admit, once I found out I kinda got sad. I don't blame you for thinking that it's copied, at least as far as the blind telepathy and blind force-sensitives go.

15. thats the only thing that reminded me of it, other then the pic. I apologize for accusing you

16. GrayGriffon

now that you've explained the powers a bit more specifically they sound a lot more fair then i orginaly thought. :) sorry for the misunderstanding. i would suggest updating the post with the info you gave me though. also how does there society work? are there elected officials, or do the elders kind of take command?

17. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

Oh there's no need for apologies. But I'm not going to update on the powers quite yet, as I'm still not 100% on all of it. Take for instance the platform generation, it's certainly a cool idea, but I feel like it'd fall late-game when players have access to stuff like jet packs.

Their society is actually a matter for debate. Currently speaking, their Elders do take on the role as spiritual leaders, however younger generations are campaigning for some form of government.

18. Clad in Plaid

Clad in Plaid Cosmic Narwhal

>Make an Iachesis swordsman
    >Call myself Zatoichi
    >?????
    >Profit!

Grim likes this.
  19. Grim

Grim Tentacle Wrangler

Updated slightly. Hope you enjoy.