1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Timed door OPENING help

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by temakixai, Feb 3, 2019.

1. temakixai

temakixai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Need some wiring help. I see lots of posts with people asking for help making doors close after a timed duration but nothing about having them open after a time.

I'm trying to create a sort of elevator room after an idea I saw from someone asking about it online. I can't seem to get the doors to open with the timer though. Tried connecting both the rail sensors and an invisible proximity sensor to a timer and it didn't work. the doors just don't open. Also tried wiring it through a xor there but I don't know if that's necessary.

I basically want it like this;
    Doors remain closed indefinitely and can't be opened directly (as is what usually happens when a door is wired to something). You press a button, which in this case is for all intents and purposes an elevator call button.
    The elevator comes up, and reaches the floor. After a second delay, the doors open.

Then I also want it like this;
    You walk in, hit the button on the wall, then the doors close. 1 second delay, then the elevator starts moving.
    If that last part will be too complicated I'll settle for doors closing and elevator moving at the same time. I jsut want to keep stupid NPCs from coming in at the wrong time and getting stuck.

So basically, elevator gets to top floor > 1 second delay > doors open.
    doors close > i second delay > elevator moves back.
    And as I said I can't even seem to get the doors to open on a timer.

This possible to do?

starboundscreenshotdoors.jpg

Edit: A "delay timer" seems to be better for what I'm doing and the doors open with that (Don't know why they won't with a 1s timer). But I can't seem to finagle it so it does what I want.

A simpler method might be;
    I want the doors at the top to remain open when, only when and indefinitely when the platform is at the top and close immediately if it leaves

I just can't figure out how. either this way or with a timer.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

Are you still in need of help?

I've been working on something that does most of the things you want, and a few other things beside, lol

I can get the door to open as you want, it closes as soon as the elevator leaves, though I think that can be altered with some more logic!

It's already a bit complicated though:

[​IMG]

If you would like to know more about what it does, and how, let me know :)

3. temakixai

Oh wow that's a little more advanced than what I have haha.
    Sure! Let's hear it. I had to settle for manual buttons in the end just to call it a stable WIP haha
    Though I only need 1 stop, it would be interesting to know the full method for reference sake

4. sirguylittle

I know, I got a bit carried away and started thinking, 'I wonder if I can do this?', lol

You may still find part of it useful as I designed it to be scalable, so it should still work with fewer, as well as more floors.

But I have broken it down into 3 stages and the second stage has most of the stuff about door handling that you may be able to use.

First, the buttons. The single button is to call the elevator to the current floor. The groups of 3 buttons are when you are on the elevator to select the floor you want to go to. (Although you can also use them to send the elevator to another floor by not getting on it :) With just 2 floors there would only need to be one button to select the other floor.
    (One of the buttons on each floor is actually redundant as it selects the floor you are on, but it looks better having 3 buttons for 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. It is also handy if you manage to get stuck in the elevator shaft on a different floor to the elevator so you can call the elevator to you, since you can't open the door, lol)

[​IMG]

and the wiring for them

[​IMG]

The next step is enabling the automatic door opening and closing. For this we need just the 4 logic components in the right hand group. I spread then out like that as it makes the wiring easier to see. Obviously in a proper setup they can be put somewhere more tidily.

[​IMG]

and the wiring for them

[​IMG]

What this circuit allows is to call the elevator using the single button and then to wait for 1 second, determined by the countdown timer, though a delay would also work there, before opening the door.
    The traffic light looking component is a Persistent Switch, a type of memory device. It is triggered by the Rail Sensor at that floor as the elevator passes it. It then remembers that state while the elevator remains at that floor but is anded to the 1 second countdown so that the door doesn't open unless both conditions are met.
    The middle floor needs one above and below the Rail Tram Stop as it could arrive from either direction, but the top floor only needs one. The bottom floor would normally only need one until I got into the carried away state and added more functions in the third stage :)

At this second stage it would do mostly what you want, calling the elevator and, when it arrives, waiting for a second before opening the door. The door would then remain open until the elevator is called to another floor, either by taking the elevator or because it was called from another floor. The door closes because the Persistent Switch is reset by the Rail Sensor of the next floor, this happens quite quickly but with additional components, it should be possible to link the door closing to the floor selection buttons and put a delay in calling the elevator to the new floor.

Finally I had the thought that irl you don't normally leave the elevator door open, so maybe I could close it and move the elevator to the basement. That is the purpose of the left hand group of components, the 2 not gates and the 5 second countdown. When the door opens, the countdown starts and after 5 seconds, the elevator is called to the basement, causing the door to close when it moves. This part is entirely optional of course.

[​IMG]

and the wiring

[​IMG]

If you should happen to stay on the elevator for those 5 seconds, then you will end up riding it down to the basement. I got fed up with using rope to get back up, that is why there is a button at the bottom of the shaft, so that I could send the elevator, and me, back to a floor I could get out on, lol

And finally, the wiring for the door handling for the top floor which is a bit simpler and might be more useful to you.

[​IMG]

In your initial statement about doors opening but not closing, you were on the right track as I noticed you had placed a not gate. Whenever you need to do the opposite to what is happening, that is normally an indication that a not gate is needed.
    Another thing I had discovered when building this is that the Rail Sensors are quite slow in operation, staying on for a second after being activated. This caused me a lot of trouble until I realised that there is a minimum floor spacing needed to allow for this and allow one floors Sensors to deactivate before the next floor Sensor activates while the elevator is in motion. What I have built is about the minimum you can get away with, 14 tiles, equivalent to 2 standard jumps.

As an aside, because of this, I have started to look at a mod called Macrochip, which takes logic to a whole different level beyond what the standard gates and switches can do, but can also produce much neater looking circuits as everything is hidden inside a small package.
    Even if you are not interested in that, there is a bonus part of it that it can reskin the standard components to look like inspection hatches, etc, or even hide them completely, and has a variety of racial themes, including Avali.

5. temakixai

Firstly, I'm sorry for not responding sooner as I've been away.
    Secondly, Thank you so much for all of this, you're an absolute star. For taking the time to do all this is incredible.
    I've saved all the screenshots and this whole webpage as an HTML incase it gets lost so I have maybe at least the text as reference.I have to digest it all later when I have time if I can hop back into starbound but it looks like it might help a lot with what I'm trying to do!
    I'll definitely have a look at that mod also

It feels rather annoying we can't have simple things like "When and only when platform is at this stop, ____ happens". But unfortunately rail platforms don't seem to trigger anything from being at the stop, only when passing through sensors, is that right?
    so much could be sovled if rail stops were able to trigger things while a platform is on them. I wonder if there is a mod for that or if it's something this mod you mentioned does.

I do like the sound of disguising them as things that look a little nicer. Though personally I've either been hiding my logic stuff in caves to the side as you've seen or using invisible ones.
    Only trouble there is not knowing what you put down :rofl:
    But it helped a lot when I had to wire a logic gate aaaaall the way up like several screens to a thing at the very top of an avali camp. (ended up beign a LOT of work, all to have a single blinking light on top of what was supposed to be an antennae), when I discovered invisible gates I was able to place them to carry the wiring further than what we can normally reach.

6. sirguylittle

That's OK, we can't play Starbound all the time, as much as we might want to, lol
    I had put my main game on hold some time ago as I wanted to explore mods a bit more and get the game the way I would like it. Although I was not specifically looking at lifts I knew it was something that I wanted eventually and I saw your post and thought it would be a good project. I have some knowledge of programming and logic but not so much on the boolean side of things (AND, OR, NOT, etc.) so I have enjoyed finding out more about it as it applies to Starbound.

I sympathise with that, but that is partly why it's good that Starbound is moddable as the developers can't think of everything, or even be able to implement every idea that comes up.
    You are right, the Rail Stops themselves do not send any kind of signal and that seems to be the job of the Rail Sensors.
    Although, thinking about it, "When and only when platform is at this stop, ____ happens" sounds rather a lot like programming, lol

That's exactly what I thought and have been working on, more or less, using the Macrochip mod to try to create a general purpose lift controller that works almost like it's real-life counterpart, knowing if the lift is on the current floor or needs to be sent for, etc. I've not come across anything specific for lifts. I have seen a few YouTube videos featuring various lifts and other automatic systems and they either go for something simple or there is a mass of wiring that looks frightening! It does seem that Macrochip is an ideal mod for this kind of thing.

This is what I have worked on so far, it still has a bug though. Although this might look a bit frightening too!
    I must admit that I have put the project to one side myself for a time while I was doing other things.
    [​IMG]

The good thing is it all fits into a nice looking cabinet :)
    [​IMG]
    For just a 2 floor system it would even fit into the standard Macrochip shown on the far left.

Macrochip might even be able to help with that as it includes remote input and output objects that transmit signals wirelessly :)

Since I have been talking so much about the mod I just realised that I never provided a link to it, lol

https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/macrochip-and-logic-upgrades.3420/

Vrow likes this.