VALVE CLOSING GREENLIGHT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WeasleX, Jan 16, 2014.

1. WeasleX

WeasleX Orbital Explorer

Don't mean to, once again say, maybe you (concerned Ape) should hurry up finishing this project, but... yes... maybe you should put the finishing touches on before this happens, you may be stuck with Desura otherwise. Even if this project is already Greenlit, if Greenlight closes down, I'm not sure whats going to happen... Maybe go for an Early Access on Steam, or something, get your foot in the door before you can't submit this project through Steam. If you can't reach the deadline, there is always Desura or Gog.com.

OR at least talk with the Steam Admins and find out whats going on?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2088...illing-all-its-secrets-at-steam-dev-days.html

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
      Kairon156 likes this.
    • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It doesn't sound like something that's going to be happening overnight. My interpretation is that Greenlight is being phased out gradually. Even then, I imagine there will be other ways of getting the game onto Steam.

Kairon156, DatYandereGirl and Dust like this.
      • Stardew_Valley

Stardew_Valley Master Chief

Wow this is serious... We all understand you want to make the perfect game prior to releasing. Maybe early access is the best way to go. We are all passionate about the game and by having more players we can look for potential bugs. Also there have been big successes in early access. DayZ, Rust and starbound are all early access and top sellers. As long as you inform early access buyers that it's constantly being improved the steam community is actually very forgiving. Well just my opinion take it with a grain of salt and best of luck CA!

• Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

If Chucklefish is publishing it, and since they already have games on Steam, doesn't that mean they don't have to go through the whole process again and can easily put Stardew Valley up on Steam without Greenlight anyway?

naithaan likes this.
          • Stardew_Valley

I'm assuming it's similar to the relationship between publishers agents and novelists. Even if the novelist is famous (with the exception of highly established people) he still has deadlines to meet. And if the deadline is pushed up... than it can actually affect the novelist. This is CA's first game so he is not established yet. Some people that are more established might get more leeway in terms of deadlines. But ultimately that's my guess. Don't take what I say as set in stone. I am guessing the reason for the lack of update this late is because CA is working very hard because he feels the pressure. Good luck CA you will make the best farming game on PC

• Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Oh, no I remember. If you have a publisher, you don't even need to go through greenlight at all (Unless you're already in it) because there was a big fiasco about that earlier last year where someone on greenlight took a publishing offer but was then denied because they were already on greenlight. So even if it were to close down before Stardew is finished, CA should be fine.

• Stardew_Valley

Do you truly believe in any contract there is no aproximate deadline that needs to be met? And that there isn't a clause that says something like "deadline is subject to change"? Companies and businesses add that clause on purpose so someone can not just sign onto them and decide to release something 10 or 15 years later. There is a definite approximate deadline in the contract.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Kinda sucks that it's going away, but tbh, I never used it.

• Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

I never said there wasn't. I in fact never said anything regarding contracts what so ever, however Steam isn't going to bar him from releasing a game if they shut down Greenlight, and I highly doubt Chucklefish are going to pull legal moves on him for having a long development time (especially considering their own) so I'm kind of confused as to what exactly you're trying to get at.

• Stardew_Valley

Before I type this paragraph I want to make it clear that I supported CAs delay on release 100 percent! Now look at it from Steams point of view. Surely steam contacted CA prior to summer 2013. CA likely told him he'd havw it by Summer 2013. He has to give an approximate date and this was likely the date he told steam since he told us this as well. Summer ended. Steam asks is the game ready? CA tells them he wants to make it perfect. Please wait sometime near the end of 2013. 2013 ends. Each time he delays it puts more pressure on him. I have not read the contract so I don't know what the repercussions may be. But it is logical to assume that he can't do that forever.

• Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Right I see where you're coming from, but what I said still applies. Even if Valve does decide that they can't keep waiting, since he's with Chucklefish he should easily be able to get published under them without going through Greenlight again. I haven't been following development hardly at all, but I assume it went under Greenlight before CF?

• WeasleX

WeasleX Orbital Explorer

At least we don't have to worry then, (phew!) Still sad about greenlight, I heard that that it may just be that everyone get's there game sold on Steam if they want... this may cause more problems than it solves. If that's the case, than the store will be flooded with stuff few want to buy... wait and see if that's the case though, I'm never sure of these things.

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

remember when i sead it didnt matter becouse chucklefish can publish it,
                            cus that argument still stands =p
                            kinda sad to see greenlight go, tho honestly i never used it
                            we did get a good bit of cool greenlite games tho

• gnofar

gnofar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

About time someone at Valve noticed how corrupt and anti productive this way of aproving games was.
                              80 % of the games on greenlight wasn´t even made done.

DatYandereGirl likes this.
                              • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Your avatar is amazing omg

• Kairon156

Kairon156 2.7182818284590...

sense this game can be single player and there's no need to download it from a server, I would like to have a hard copy of the game. a case with the dvd's and a manual for the game. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
                                    naithaan likes this.
                                  • gnofar

gnofar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That would be hard for CA since its a indie game it is hard to know how many copies he will need to print out since he doesen´t really have any stats or reliability. Maybe it will come out like Terraria where they realesed some kind of GOTY edition at Game and other gaming stores.

Kairon156 likes this.
                                    • Kairon156

Kairon156 2.7182818284590...

I'm not sure if you can do this with games but there are webpages that you can upload a book design what you'll want it to look like than I think you can order as many as you need and maybe someone else could see your book on that page and buy 1 copy. If there was a page like this that did it for video games it would be cool.

I do understand why an indie company would have a hard time selling a hard copy of a game though. I just like being able to hold an object that I own.

naithaan likes this.
                                      • naithaan

naithaan Zero Gravity Genie

Im just glad it got greenlit. Its just more good news for us.