What is your real life Stardew Valley?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djchrisblue, May 4, 2013.

1. djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Are there any people who in real life farm and/or ranch? Let us know here what you are growing!

I work at a farm and we grow all sorts of vegetables, herbs, and flowers (no fruit), like salad greens, beets, snap peas, onions, carrots, leeks, basil, lavender, and daffodils. We also have egg chickens.

At home, I grow onions, scallions, collards, strawberries, and peppers of various kinds as well as a few herbs like chives and basil. (I'm trying tomatoes this year.) I live in the city, so it's all containers, grow lamps, and windows boxes!

Share your home farming projects below!

peace

• Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I used to have a tiny little garden, grew some tomatoes... then we got some dogs and well, that was the end of that.

MoonyGekko likes this.
      • Buttonmasher50

Buttonmasher50 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why, yes! Me and my dad tend to grow a little bit of everything - tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, banana peppers, strawberries, and broccoli. :D

We don't get paid, but it helps to maintain healthy eating habits in our house, and we give them out to our neighbors to help spread a feeling of kindness and community. Besides, with the amount we end up with, it's better than letting them go to waste!

LastDay likes this.
        • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

My real life Stardew Valley would just to be living in a house maybe in a smaller town, and grow berries in my backyard. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are delicious.

• fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My relatives used to live in the country, which is where I learned about farming and raising livestock.

• pinkcatmint

pinkcatmint Subatomic Cosmonaut

I used to have a house with a nice garden. I wish I could live out in the country and raise chickens, cows and lots of veggies. Alas, I am currently an apartment dweller, so I only have 1 potato plant and a couple of strawberry plants out on the patio. I wanted to grow more out there, but I'm expecting a baby in June, so I figured I would be too busy to take care of a bunch of plants. :( Oh well, maybe next year I can expand my patio garden.

• Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

A few days ago I've visited relatives who live in countryside/outskirts of a small town. One of them is a beekeeper, with several of his hives not far away from the houses (two + barn + family shop with articles unrelated to farming on their ground) which he tends to regularly (contrary to popular belief, regular honey bees aren't much aggresive unless provoked and thus - just by living nearby you hardly risk getting stung). There are also several rabbits, cats (now with litter of kittens and little bunnies, too), a puppy dog, chickens, a rooster, ducks - male and female. Which makes for a little paradise for animal lover (thought the puppy gnaws and chews on everything as it's teeth still grow).

As for the plants - aside from flowers (presumably both for aesthetics and the bees) they grow some herbs used for cooking, like basil, grew carrots and onions - not sure if they still do - and they did plant potatoes during my visit. Many years ago they also had some gooseberries, but that's not the case anymore.

• Katwolfy

Katwolfy Starship Captain

My parents used to breed beagles. But then they had me and I convinced them we should keep them inside in our beds instead of out in the kennels, so that fell through. And we used to grow tomatoes, but the deer ate them all... And we have a peach tree, but the squirrels steal all the peaches... We used to have 20 quails, but foxes ate them. We don't have much luck, really. :V

Zailiner likes this.
                  • Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

I live in a somewhat rural area, and we have chickens and a garden. My friends always made fun of me for playing a game about farming when I could be outside doing it myself.

Gardening in real life can be very frustrating, especially with all the pests-- insects and animals-- that can demolish your garden even if you are careful.

• Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

We grow a small garden along side the house which has baby tomatoes, chives and some other herbs. Though it's hard to keep the deer away.