1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was so much content removed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by harrydm98, Feb 14, 2017.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

We know how much and what was removed because it is recorded on starbounder: https://starbounder.org/Category:Removed

People have actually tried re-adding the removed content. The most notable effort was the CLEF mod, but it wasn't all that popular. The reality is much of the old content is not as missed as you may think. It is mainly nostalgia that people here are going by rather than the reality.

Charlatan likes this.
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Thanks for the explanation!

3. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Blaine

Blaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I backed Starbound during the crowdfunding campaign and had been following it since its announcement, like most Terraria players, probably. I vaguely recall some of this stuff, like the distress beacon, the brain extractor (really strange placeholder, come to think of it), and the ability to use coal and wood for fuel.

There is one piece of content I really miss, and that is the USCM Bunker dungeon and its unique robotic enemies (Serpent Droid, etc.). There seems to be a mod or two that restores it, so I should probably install one.

There is one piece of altered content that really annoys me, which was that fuel was changed from uranium and plutonium to some magic pink fantasy crystal haunted by ghosts. While I've always known that Starbound isn't particularly gritty and doesn't take itself seriously, it frankly ended up being a little more cartoony than I would have preferred.

Ickura likes this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeah, I can see that. It does seem they kinda couldn't decide where they wanted to go with the game's theme outside of "Stuff in space!", and as much as people complain about wanting the old lore back, I do kinda agree with them.